Saturday, July 01, 2006

And the rockets red glare ...

4th of July last Tuesday and it was a quiet one for me. I played on the computer, did some odds and ends around the house and then went grocery shopping. I do enjoy time off once and awhile. The highlight of it all was sleeping in! But I do remember how I got these liberties (well, not so much remember as I wasn't there but more appreciation and rememberance). So I wish a safe journey home to all the troops abroad in harms way and say "THANKS" to those in the past and present who ensured our countries freedoms. Picture on the left is a painting of the attack on Bunker Hill in 1775.

Weekly Recap:
Last Tuesday night my friend's warehouse burned down due to fireworks (currently the reported cause). Luckily it was late evening and no one was working that day but its still a very sad thing. Its all fun and games till someone gets hurt or something gets damaged (or destroyed in this case). What is also sad is the place had years and years of movie history in there from probably 20 to 25 years (if not longer).

I decided to change the format of the blog text wise. Going with the normal size and font defaults because when I change it, there always seems to be some problem. At first I was just having general problems but that was due to Internet Explorer. MOST of the issues resolved when I switched to working on the blog on Mozilla Firefox. But as I go and change certain things ... some issues still arise. So, lets see how this works now.

At the movies:
I am sure Disney is thrilled this Monday ... opening day for Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest was just over 50 million and a total weekend cume of about 131 million. The film set many box office records (including highest opening day and highest 2-day gross). No other main stream movies opened against it ... which is smart because it would look rather embarrasing I would imagine. The #2 spot goes to "Superman Returns" flying in with another 21.9 which is a nice 2nd week number for the man of steel. Holding by a strap is "The Devil Wears Prada" at #3 fitting in another 15.6 mil which is a strong number as well. "Click" manages to stay in-tune for 12 more mil and rounding off the top 5 is "Cars" speeding in with another 10.3 million. A little indie film from WIP (Warner Bros Indepedant) titled A Scanner Darkly opened this weekend in about 17 locations bringing in a nice per screen average of about 24k each. That is above the average line although not the highest.

Q & A:
Not really a Q/A but a comment left about the penny ... I think it makes the arguement and the appeal of an electronic banking (or cashless) society more desirable and practical.

Other News:
North Korea launched 7 missiles which all fizzled out and crashed into the Sea of Japan. The US knew this program has been in the works for so long yet we are not reacting to it till they are at the stage of test firing. What gets me is they say the missiles were fired toward Hawaii ... and? They have to point them somewhere and the direction of the Sea of Japan and Hawaii are the same yet they say they were aimed at Hawaii ... serioulsy people ... Hey I just threw a rock out my window and I hit this tree 10 feet away BUT the tragectory was the same as the Getty Museum 10 miles away, I was aiming for the Getty Museum!! I CONFESS! In all seriousiness, Kim Jong Il is a nut case ... in my opinion he is more pyschotic than Saddam was and he keeps his people in poverty. Also Kim is reported (and doesn't hide the fact) he has WMD's ... and yet he still sits in power while Iraq is in ruins ... go figure. Can you spot North Korea in this satellite image taken at night?

Facts & Tips:
A queen bee can lay 800-1500 eggs per day.

"It costs nearly a billion dollars just to turn the lights on around here."- Don S. Davis as General George S. Hammond in the TV series "Stargate SG-1"

5 Comments:

At July 12, 2006, Blogger Samara Oz said...

I wish I could be interested in what's currently playing at the movies, but I just never am. I'm the Devil who wears Prada seconds! Rented Ingmar Bergman's "The Magic Flute" from 1975. All Swedish, of course.

 
At July 12, 2006, Blogger McDuck said...

this is odd but Elliot Gould has a phyiscal 35mm print of an Ingmar Bergman film ... I only know this because he came to MGM once and I helped him bring it out of his car.

 
At July 14, 2006, Blogger Samara Oz said...

"The Magic Flute" is fantastic. Mozart/Bergman: a winning combination bien sur.

I looked it up and Elliot Gould & Bergman actually worked on a film together: "The Touch." Bergman described him as difficult. I wonder if that's the print that Gould has...

 
At July 15, 2006, Blogger McDuck said...

Oh ... it could have very well been "The Touch", I didn't stay to watch it with them (I was invited) because I had to work!

 
At February 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home