Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Hot and cold ...

Make up your mind!! So the last week it has been chilly and overcast in the morning but not that bad where I would need a coat. Then noon its like summer and hits the mid 80's AND then at night its overcast (sometimes) again and the temp drops like the morning. I don't know about this weather we are having this year because its certianly not typical for this area.

Weekly Recap:
I believe I mentioned before I was taking an improv class, well that ended last Tuesday night and it was a pretty fun experience. I might consider taking the intermediate level stuff but I need to find more info on that. SO tonight (1 night only!!) we are doing a showcase! Our class (which is only about 3 to 4 of us that were left) will do several improv sketches for 30 minutes while our teacher/host chooses the activity. After us is the intermediate group and they go for 30 minutes as well. So at least its not that long and hopefully will just go quick. But hopefully we can ... mak'em laugh!

At the movies:
The Da Vinci Code made its opening debut this weekend with a strong 77 million at the box office and over 250 world-wide, despite the critic reviews and the Catholic Church "denouncing" the film.
When will churches learn that doing something like that only helps a movie. For starters its basically free publicity and when they do go public like that it can nearly triple the box office. I bet Sony was thrilled when that started to roll out and knew they had money in the bank! I remember when something similiar happened with "The Last Temptation of Christ" and what was projected to do a small few million turned in a box office smash thanks to the churches and other religious organizations. Dreamworks Animation's Over the Hedge takes #2 with a surprisingly low 37.2 million, I was hoping to see closer to 50 myself. M:I:III holds on to #3 with another 11 million, not a bad gross drop for the 3rd week, word of mouth might be helping as folks say it is a good movie. The sinking Posiedon clutches on to #4 in week 2 with 9.2 million and at #5 RV still shows a strong black ink at 5.1 million. Films opening this week that didn't make the top 5 would be See No Evil at #6 with 4.3 million. I think Horror is done for now.

Q&A:
The clover phenom continues! I remember finding four-leaf clovers all the time and do not understand why there is some kind of scientific study on odds/ratio. Sit in a field, I am sure you will find one.

Other News:
Seems like the housing boom is now leveling off. Just announced last week that interest rates will flatten out therefore causing the price of homes to not necessarily decline but expect them to cease rising. Since November of last year the slow down already started and fewer new homes built were sold as well as a smaller decline in homes sold in general. So the new home medium is set but we may see a shift now toward home improvements instead of a buy/sell market.

Facts & Tips:
The average raindrop falls at seven miles per hour.

"We're the phone company. We don't care; we don't have to."- Lily Tomlin as Ernestine the Telephone Operator in "Saturday Night Live" (TV).

3 Comments:

At May 25, 2006, Blogger Samara Oz said...

I read "The Da Vinci Code" and didn't find it offensive. I found it plot-driven! However, I have no desire to see Tom Hanks in another movie. There are some actors I am just sick of due to over-exposure (like Tom Cruise and Julia Roberts).

Tony, you should do more improv. I would love to see you & your class in action.

 
At May 26, 2006, Blogger yo said...

I watched "Da Code" here in Taiwan. Because all the subtitles were in Chinese and because I never really paid attention in French class, I missed a lot of dialogue. There were a couple of times when Nels and I were laughing in a silent theater. Tom Hanks is just funny...or maybe it was the writing. Did you see it?

 
At July 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home