Monday, June 01, 2009

June gloom? Well we are not in June just yet ... ok, technically we are but the last week and a half of June has seen some pretty glooming weather in these parts. I know the expression is June gloom but in May? I think our calendars are off from the hundreds of years when it was accurate that it could use some adjustments ... or just do away with such sayings might be the easier thing. Unless of course throughout the entire month of June it is glooming but for some reason I doubt it will be. Probably won't even be 50% glooming at that.

Weekly Update:
So I am slowly getting my computer back up to where it use to be before I had to completely wipe out everything and re-load the operating system. I can't stress the need for back-up more than ever now because prior to my desktop going down, my laptop went out. Fortunately for me, the laptop was still under the extended warranty I bought from Alienware but I still lost the data. Now I have back-ups for the back-up for the back-up ... and then another one just in case. Is it redundant? YES but if two systems go down, I still have two back-ups (sort of). I have had one external hard drive go out on me before ... maybe a 5th online back-up for at least photos is a good idea. Also invest in a power back-up, they are cheap now at Costco (around $100) but hey if it gives you enough power to give you enough time to shut off your computer saving everything, money WELL spent. Not to mention the built-in features like a surge protector are always nice.

At the movies:
No surprise here as Pixar Disney's UP soars at the box office to #1 with a great opening of 68.2 million which is slightly above industry expectations. Word-of-mouth is very strong on this film so the legs will carry it through the summer to be one of the top grosses. Slight drop to #2 is "Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian" with an extra 25.5 mil and just breaking the 100 mil cume mark. New at #3 is the horror Drag Me To Hell with a 16.6 mil opening and about right where I thought it might be. Slightly below the predictions but not for me, something about this film didn't "scream" out that much. Big drop to #4 is "Terminator: Salvation" with another 16.1 mil and racing to break 100 mil soon. Rounding off the top 5 is "Star Trek" with another 12.8 mil and now well over 200 mil as it continues to play strong.

Quote of the week:
"Happiness is something you get as a by-product in the process of making something else." - Aldous Huxley

Other News:
As we head into summer, something interesting is starting to happen globally and that is the economy is slightly rebounding. Nothing we will notice however, and one thing that is going in the opposite direction is oil prices. During the summer period is typically when we (being the US) consume more oil over an extended period of time from cooling units to travel. Asia is seeing the highest rise in oil prices at the moment while the rest of the world is feeling increases but not as high. What still amazes me is when a barrel of crude oil goes up in one day, the gas prices we pay remain high for weeks. When the price of a barrel of oil drops for a day, it takes weeks till we see that effect and usually only lasts for a very short period of time. It's definitely an excuse for refinery companies to raise prices right away and keep them high and then when they drop, they take their time about lowering them ... or simply reduce the output so the demand remains higher than the supply. It will always stay this way till we can find more alternative means of fuel for our many different uses of it. Otherwise, it really is a slowly losing battle.

Facts & Tips:
The first alarm clock could only ring at 4 a.m.

"How is it possible that Courtney Love looks worse than Kurt Cobain?" - Jeffrey Ross as himself at the "Comedy Central Roast of Pamela Anderson."

1 Comments:

At June 02, 2009, Blogger ZAC said...

Do you ever watch horror flicks Tony? And if yes, WHY? Also, I have been going through some old papers of mine and I found a letter you wrote me when I was at BYU. It was so neat to read through it. And I realized something that age seems to make very clear: I have been surrounded by GOOD PEOPLE and true friends my whole life. Lucky me! So when are you and Jen headed to Denver?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home