Monday, April 27, 2009

San Francisco Edition:

Yep, you guessed it ... I was in San Francisco the better part of the week. Arrived up there on Wednesday and came back Sunday evening. I am pretty dang tired but it was a good trip doing meetings and attending a wedding. The weather was freakin cold but I think mostly due to the wind. For the first part of the trip I stayed sort of downtown I guess and that is pretty cool. Right next to a mall so had lots of really good eating options. The food court they had seemed pretty high end than what I typically see at a mall, it was really nice! The mall it self is just tall with curving escalators which are just fun to ride! And yes, I did take that picture of the cable car.

Weekly Update:
So meetings on Tuesday and Thursday, wedding on Saturday and traveled on Wednesday and Sunday ... I'm pooped (again!). During part of the week I did stay at a pretty nice hotel around downtown in SF called the Hotel Palomar which had almost every amenity you could think of. The one thing that did strike me as a bit of a shock was the valet parking fee. Now, I understand if you are not a guest that valet could be a little more but apparently the fee to "house" your vehicle is $42 per night ... PER NIGHT!!! That was a bit much and luckily I was only there for two nights. I felt like I should have parked at the mall and then carry all the bags to the room but I didn't really know till I got the bill. For that much they should have detailed the car and filled up the tank for me! So travellers be warned. Great hotel, crappy parking!

At the movies:
Suspense owns the box office this week as Obsessed comes in with 28.5 million. Sure to be a short lived box office #1 spot as Wolverine is set to open this coming Friday. Decent hold to #2 is "17 Again" with an extra 11.7 mil for this comedy re-make. New at #3 is Fighting with 11.4 mil and I am sure it won't get much more from there. New at #4 is the drama The Soloist with only 9.7 mil. Word on the street is the film is ... slow and uninteresting. Rounding off the top 5 is the docu-drama Disneynature's Earth with a weekend total of 8.6 mil however this film opened on Wednesday (Earth Day) with a grand total of 14 mil. Not to bad for a simple film like this.

New movies that did not make the top 5: Just one this week as a semi-wide release of The Informers comes in at #21 with 320k ... someone should have informed them to go straight to video.

Quote of the week:
"I'm not just involved in tennis but committed. Do you know the difference between involvement and commitment? Think of ham and eggs. The chicken is involved. The pig is committed." - Martina Navratilova

Other News:
Sad news to report, last Saturday Television legend Bea Arthur passed away of cancer in her Los Angeles home. Arthur best known from the sitcoms "Golden Girls" and "Maude". Her bigger claim to fame was from "Golden Girls". Recently co-star Estelle Getty passed away last July who played the role of Arthur's mother character in the "Golden Girls." The show went on to last nearly 7 years featuring the daily life of 4 female retirees living together. Arthur's deadpan comedy brought the crass and bitter sweet element to the show for fans. Arthur was a big supporter of the arts as well as animal rights. She was one of their top defenders against animal cruelty and now they have lost a big voice. Bea Arthur was 86.

Facts & Tips:
Apples are 25% air.

"No matter how far out of first we are, it's cool. You know, it keeps us from getting shut out at our favorite hotels and restaurant-type places." - Charlie Sheen as Rick Vaughn in "Major League."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home