Monday, May 11, 2009

MOTHER'S DAY EDITION

Sunday was Mother's Day and is it officially summer time now or what? If one looks at the movie box office, you would say that the summer season is upon us. But, if you look at the weather we are having in Southern California, the summer is melting its way in!! Despite the Summer Solstice still being about 6 more weeks away, the heat tells us a different story as temperatures hit the high 80's and in some areas in the 90's. Most were saved thanks to many winds which help cool things down but I did hear one day during the week that Santa Barbara hit 100 degrees on top of the fires going on there! Are we due for another drastically over-heated summer again? If so, this will make it ... what, 3 years in a row of excessive heat? I hope not. HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to all the moms out there!!

Weekly Update:
This past week was pretty so-so for me ... nothing too exciting happened to be honest. I do want to say that I have had a lot of issues with Mozilla Firefox lately and it continues to annoy me. I am glad this is NOT my primary browser because if it was, then I would have lost it a long time ago (lost what you say, nothing if you think about it). This crappy browser has constant errors, numerous updates which slow my entire system down and fails to do simple things like "remember password" after every time I say "YES, remember the farkin password you piece-o-crap browser." If I close and open a window 5 times in one sitting where it requires a password, I will tell it to remember the password ... yep, 5 times! So many things annoy me with this program especially when I try to put together my blog. I use windows for most of the stuff now except for one thing, spell checker. For whatever reason it doesn't work properly with Windows Explorer but that is the only flaw so far with this. Mozilla ... suckzilla you mean.

At the movies:
No surprise here as Star Trek earns top honors at the box office with 75.5 million. Kind of low for my expectations for this re-launching of the franchise plus all the positive buzz around it. Hanging onto #2 is "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" with a size-able drop earning another 27 mil. I think as the weeks go it will claw its way to 200 mil but word-of-mouth is so-so on this film. Strong at #3 is "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past" with another 10.5 mil and being the only "chick-flick" out there, it should do well. Slight drop to #4 is "Obsessed" with 6.6 mil extra. Rounding off the top 5 is "17 Again" with another 4.4 mil and sure to be its last appearance in the top 5.

New movies that did not make the top 5: Just one this week as the urban comedy Next Day Air earns only 4 mil which is enough to give it the #6 spot as it makes it way to the video shelf. I'm not sure if this was suppose to be counter-programing to "Star Trek" ... it was a very bad idea.

Quote of the week:
"I think age is a very high price to pay for maturity." - Tom Stoppard

Other News:
Yet ANOTHER sad week as another legend leaves us. Film, TV and Comedy legend Dom DeLuise passed away Monday night in his sleep after a long illness. Dom is known for so many things that range from a film career, to TV appearances and becoming a chef. His strength and love was his comedic approach to life and making us laugh for several generations. DeLuise found himself in several films by Mel Brooks including; "The Twelve Chairs", "Blazing Saddles", "Silent Movie", "History of the World Part I", "Robin Hood: Men in Tights" and "Spaceballs." He also starred in other classics such as "The Cannonball Run" and "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas." His career can be listed for a very long time just in the movie genre alone. He also stretched into Broadway a bit and some TV credits include "The Munsters" and "Diagnosis Murder." Dom had three sons who all work in the entertainment industry either behind and/or in front of the camera. Our laughs are a little quieter now but shouldn't be silent in his remembrance ... Dom was 75.

Facts & Tips:
According to the U.S. FDA standards, 1 cup of orange juice is allowed to contain 10 fruit fly eggs, but only 2 maggots.

"You know how I know *you're* gay? You just told me you're not sleeping with women any more." - Seth Rogen as Cal in "The 40 Year Old Virgin."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home