Monday, May 04, 2009

I WANT SOME RAIN! So the second time in a row within a month's time ... several weather sources say medium to heavy rains were suppose to hit us Friday night through Saturday. What did we end up getting ... nothing. Usually you don't hear folks asking for rain but we seriously need it and I sort of planned my weekend accordingly but pretty much bone dry. It did get cloudy and I thought I felt some drops one evening but it could have been my imagination. But most of the days were sunny (yet very cool to cold) with just some overcast. Can they not get this weather thing right or is our climate become so incredibly unpredictable now due to some of the global warming effects? I don't know but I would rather have percentages of showers rather than saying it will rain.

Weekly Update:
What an exhausting week it has been for me. Going to bed late and getting up early ... why do I do that?? Wednesday was the worse because I had jury duty!! Now, I don't mind serving but what I do mind is 1) Change of location and 2) 7:45AM! We are on the system where we call each evening to see if we have to report the following day. You do that for a week and if you do not have to go in, then your time is served for the year. I called on Tuesday and I get the notice I will have to report. No big deal right? Nope! The court I was originally suppose to go to was in Newport Beach which is some 20 miles away and I had that changed because of a wrong address they had on file for my residence. So my new location is Fullerton, the city I live in. The court house is probably 1 to 2 miles away at most ... but then this happens, "due to an emergency need for jurors, please report to the Santa Ana Court House ..." WHAT? Now granted Santa Ana isn't as far as Newport (maybe 12 miles) but then the next line, "Jurors are to report by 7:45 AM" WHAT?!? Well, in the end I was on the panel for jury selection but didn't get picked and was out of there by 3pm ... time served for the year.

At the movies:
No surprise here as the summer box office officially kicks off this past weekend with X-Men Origins: Wolverine earning the #1 spot with 87 million. Not a great number compared to last year's "Iron Man" opener but still very strong. Unfortunately I can safely say that this film probably won't be in the top 5 of summer blockbusters (barely top 10 even) as word of mouth is very mediocre at best on the film and it is yet another heavy summer ahead! In at #2 with its counter-programming is the lack lustre Ghosts of Girlfriends Past with 15.3 mil. The numbers are OK but I think some were expecting a bit more. Hanging in at #3 is "Obsessed" with another 12.2 mil. Holding on at #4 is "17 Again" with an additional 6.4 mil and slowly dropping off the charts. Rounding off the top 5 and probably the last appearance in this bracket is "Monsters Vs. Aliens" with an extra 5.8 mil and well over the 180 mil cume!

New movies that did not make the top 5: One this week and kind of sad too. Not only did this film open to bad reviews and numbers, it didn't even show up on the top 10. In at #12 is the computer animated sci-fi action film Battle For Terra with only 1.1 mil and pretty much done before it even started.

Quote of the week:
"Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again." - Franklin P. Jones

Other News:
Wow, another passing this week and this is kind of a shocker. On Friday morning, famous Las Vegas headliner Danny Gans died from having problems breathing. His wife called emergency and by the time they reached him, they pronounced him dead at his bed. Danny was famous for his impersonations of various celebrities and he did his show at the new Encore Hotel by Wynn on the Las Vegas Strip. Going to and from Vegas from California, you could see literally dozens and dozens of billboards of DANNY GANS LIVE! When you hit Vegas itself, taxi cab signs, street signs, and more billboards filled the strip with is face and name. Folks who have seen the show tell me it was amazing and he could sound and sing like so may different celebrities current and past. Gans grew up in Torrance, California and later became a minor league baseball player. He eventually made his way to Las Vegas as one of the top headliners for nearly a decade. Medical examiners are still determining cause of death but Gans had no history of drugs or smoking. He was in great physical shape and Las Vegas has not only lost a stunning performer ... but a strong voice. Gans was 52.

Facts & Tips:
Butterflies taste with their feet.

"Red, we have company." - Doug Jones as Abe Sapien in "Hellboy II: The Golden Army."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home