Monday, November 17, 2008

The weather ... just when you thought it was cooling down for winter, you get hit with a heat wave. The temps shot up again to the low 90's during the day this past week and looking forward, they sound like they will dip a little but high 80's. Still pretty hot but I will take it, anything as long as it gets cooler. Will this winter bring another dry and warm winter again? I sure hope not because we already have issues with water shortages and another year just compounds the situation.

Weekly Update:
On Tuesday I went to a little DVD launch party for Hellboy II: The Golden Army in Hollywood which was pretty cool and fun. I have never been to a DVD launch party and what was neat was Guillermo del Toro walked the audience through some the unique Blu-Ray features. The event was also designed like the "Troll Market" using props and people in costumes from the film itself. The little details made the event more special. While there I did get a couple of pics:

*Mike Mignola - Creator and Writer of the "Hellboy" comic series and a nice guy.
*Jeffrey Tambor - Really great and funny guy!
*Brian Steele - He was actually dressed in his costume at the event as "Wink." That was pretty cool.

At the movies:
No surprise here as the new James Bond flick takes the #1 spot this weekend titled Quantum of Solace and bringing in 70.4 million. I don't know, I expected a bit more considering the screen count and should be the start of the winter season. Here is the sad thing as well, for some reason I don't see it holding the #1 spot next week. Holding strong at #2 is "Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa" with another 36.1 mil and just blew past the 100 mil cume mark! Also holding in at #3 is "Role Models" with 11.7 mil. Singing in at #4 is "High School Musical: Senior Year" with an extra 5.9 mil. Rounding off the top 5 is "Changeling" with 4.2 mil.

Quote of the week:
"America is the country of the future. It is a country of beginnings, of projects, of vast designs and expectations." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Other News:
Fires hit the southland this weekend as both the heat went up and the winds were blowing strong. Two of the many fires were pretty close to my house. One was in Brea which is just one city over and the fire under 5 miles away. The second in Corona was under 10 miles away and was bellowing mass amounts of black smoke. Kept all the doors and windows shut to keep the smoky smell out but some still got in. Not to mention the ash covering all over the place and the winds mixing it up with the dirt and leaves ... you would have thought a bomb hit and we are getting the aftermaths. Firefighters from all over the county are battling the mess and I am sure more will come from within the state itself. The two fires close to me both started fairly close to each other in time and distance. It is just too much of a coincidence to be nothing short of arson. Between all the fires going on, thousands of acres burned and I heard several hundred homes combined have burnt down (including other large structures).

Facts & Tips:
A chalkboard eraser is one of the best ways to wipe a foggy windshield.

"I'm not just pussyfooting around this time, Batman!" - Julie Newmar as Catwoman in the TV series "Batman."

1 Comments:

At November 18, 2008, Blogger ZAC said...

Glad to hear your house is okay. When I realized just how close these fires were to my parents home I called them with a bit of fear in my mind. I hadn't heard from them for over a week---but alas, all is well in VP still.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home