Monday, December 30, 2019

Holiday Edition

This past Wednesday was Christmas Day and in the last 5 year tradition, I basically worked.  That used to be my old tradition back in the 90's when I worked for the movie theatre.  I would work pretty much every holiday and it was SO BUSY because what does everyone do after they have eaten lots of food and opened presents?  Go to the movies!  I remember one year, the theatre was on the third floor of a mall and our box office was right underneath. As we were preparing the concession stand and getting ready to open ... I heard a loud noise in the mall and as you can imagine, things basically echo when everything is closed but your theatre.  So I go out to the railing to see what the noise was ... it was a line at our box office that was over 200 people long and growing as more and more were coming into the mall.  Of course I knew they were only here for us since everything was closed!  That day was SO long but I will always remember it.



Weekly Update:
This past week was pretty uneventful for a holiday week.  Had to work and then I slept and ate, slept and ate, rinse and repeat.  Just not a fan of the holidays anymore, in fact I never look forward to them like I used to.  I have become Scrooge and I am fine with that actually.  The holidays can and are expensive so I am on board with Scrooge (of the McDuck variety) because what do you get in return but more  expenses and in our current economic climate right now, we need to save all the money we can.  Nearly four years ago we were heading into prosperous times and now, nothing but debt and high taxes are in the future to pay for that debt which has over quadrupled in short 3 to 4 years.  What is sad about the economy is that it takes a decade to cut it in half but a year or two to triple (if not more) it!  So nay to Christmas ... Bah Humbug!

At the movies:
No surprises at the box office as "Star Wars: The Rise of  Skywalker" maintains the #1 spot but with a pretty hefty drop.  It earns another 72 million and a domestic cume of 361 mil.  Should get to 400 shortly after the New Year.  Going up in gross is "Jumanji: The Next Level" at #2 with an extra 35.3 mil and close to 200 mil cume!  It gained 33% from last week to this week.  New at #3 is Little Women with 16.5 mil to open and close to expectations.  Holding on to the #4 spot is "Frozen 2" with 16.5 mil as it passes 400 mil cume and will definitely fall short of 500.  New and rounding off the top 5 is Spies in Disguise with 13.2 mil and slightly below expectations.

Quote of the week:

"Wonder is the feeling of the philosopher, and philosophy begins in wonder." - Plato

Facts & Tips:
A player was once ejected from an MLB game for sleeping during the game.

"Rivers of blood can never bring peace." - Kelly Hu as The Sorceress in "The Scorpion King."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home