Monday, July 28, 2014

What is this, Florida?!  The weather this past week has been so humid, it was like I am in Florida again.  I am not sure what is going on but we do not have this kind of weather.  Our heat is dry!  The air is so heavy and feels like I can scoop it with a spoon.  Most nights the heat breaks but humidity can last all day and night.  I am not sure when this desert turned into a tropical zone but stop it!  I don't even know if it is bringing any moisture except to my armpits and back!  Seriously though, can we make this stop??

Weekly Update:
Not a whole lot this past week ... it was quiet ... to quiet in fact.  I don't know, I am just so bored I guess.  I didn't go to San Diego Comic-Con this year but that is a good thing.  After last year's craziness, it was nice to take a week off plus I heard the lines, crowds and weather were all awful!  But aside from all of that ... I guess this is new news ... I've started writing for an online contribution site for what I write here about the weekly box office recap.  They reached out to my local comic book store and that store reached out to me because I guess I can write a little better than they can so now my recap is seen by hundreds of people (so far), the site has a potential 40 million viewers.  Along with that I have done two interview exclusives that including Doug Jones for "Falling Skies" and Guillermo del Toro for his new show "The Strain."  Next up, Stan Lee for just cool stuff in general.  Now, if I can just figure out a way to get paid for doing all of this, that would be nice.

At the movies:

No major surprises at the box office but despite San Diego Comic-Con going on, the box office was fairly healthy this past weekend.  Debuting at #1 is the action-thriller Lucy with a nice 44 million opening, pretty on par with estimations.  Also new at #2 is Hercules with a good 29 mil and also well on par with estimations, like I said, it was healthy week.  Dropping down to #3 is "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" earning an extra 16.4 mil as it slowly makes its way to 200 mil cum and should hit that in a few more weeks.  Big drop to #4 is "Purge: The Anarchy" with another 9.9 mil as it will soon lose all its steam.  Rounding off the top 5 is "Planes: Fire & Rescue" with another 9.3 mil as this animated film does a little crash and burn of its own.
New movies that did not make the top 5:
Just one this week as And So It Goes earns only 4.5 mil which is just a little short of expectations for this semi-wide release (about 1700 screens).  This one will probably fade away really fast ... and so it goes and so it went.

Quote of the week:
"We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive them for forcing us to kill their children.  We will only have peace with the Arabs when they love their children more than they hate us." - Golda Meir

Facts & Tips:
Snoopy is the most common dog name beginning with the letter S.

"Grandpa said you use to live in a closet." - Nolan Gould as Luke Dunphy in the TV series "Modern Family."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home