Monday, July 07, 2014

4th of July Edition

This past Friday was 4th of July and talk about having a major long holiday weekend.  Some businesses closed down early Wednesday while the rest Thursday by noon.  Traffic was extremely heavy both days and then Friday itself ... ghost town.  But what did I do??  Nothing, I sat at home working on some random things while the poor puppy (well, puppy to me) scrunched under my desk, next to my legs to make sure he was touching me while all the fireworks were going off all over the place.  It is kind of hard when you live near Angel Baseball Stadium, Disneyland and various stadiums for college events all being used for firework shows.  Shadow seemed unaffected and only bothered me when she wanted attention but poor Orion, he was so scared and just had to be tucked in a very tight space for security.  But he made it through and is back to his cheerful self.

Weekly Update:
So what happened this week ... hmmm ... aside from 4th of July and I was hanging out at a BBQ/Car Wash event on Saturday, what else did I do?!  I felt like I did something but what ... I guess it was nothing worth remembering.  I had a meeting or two again but that was all via phone and I guess that was really it.  I know I slept a lot on Wednesday, my body just simply shut down and I was exhausted.  I probably took several naps but one nap was really good till my phone went off with an Amber Alert in ... FLORIDA!!  I appreciate that the system is in place but I think it should only pertain to the state it is in or maybe even within one state radius.  Florida just happens to be on the other side of the country to me so I don't think I should have received this particular alert.  Well, after that I just got up and went about my day but still, it was going to be a good nap till that happened!

At the movies:
Despite a substantial drop in its box office for a holiday weekend, "Transformers: Age of Extinction" defended it's crown for the #1 spot!  Earning another 36.4 million, it closes in on the 200 mil mark and at this rate should get it within the next week and weekend.  New at #2 is the comedy Tammy with a solid 32.9 mil for the 5-day (Wednesday opening) which is pretty much what was predicted.  New at #3 is Deliver Us From Evil with 15 mil to open which is also about on point and likely to fizzle out from here.  Hanging on to #4 is "22 Jump Street" with an extra 9.4 mil as it continues to climb to 200 mil domestic but will likely fall just short of it in the end.  Rounding off the top 5 is "How to Train Your Dragon 2" with another 8.8 mil as it will fall very short of hitting the 200 mil mark unfortunately.
New films that did not make the top 5:
Just one this week as the family sci-fi Earth to Echo came in at #6 with only 13.5 mil for the 5-day and fell in the lower end of the box office predictions.  This is at #6 because the 13.5 mil is a total gross with a Wednesday opening and the older films (#4 and #5) were only calculated for Fri through Sun which both exceed Echo's Fri to Sun total (8.25 mil).

Quote of the week:
"Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil." - Niccolo Machiavelli

Facts & Tips:
Snails can sleep for up to three years.

"When people ask me if I went to film school I tell them, 'no, I went to films.'" - Quentin Tarantino

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home