Monday, August 22, 2011

OK, this weather here has been AMAZING!!! Not much more I can say about that because it has consistently been in the mid 70's and breezes keep it nice. The evenings have been chilly but not cold and you only feel out if you are in the direct sunlight! I don't know what we did to get this weather but I hope it carries through Labor Day Weekend! I guess overall we have been very fortunate that our weather has been really good and no major heat waves into the 100's like last year.

Weekly Update:
Wednesday night we had the 1st Annual Variety Poker Tournament over at the Paramount Studios Lot and it was a really nice evening. I was asked to bring some "talent" and while there, I got to meet up with some new talent faces. The event itself was well received by everyone and all who participated seemed like they had a great time and helped raise money for a great cause. Did manage to get a few pics:

*Kevin Covais - Best known for season 5 of the TV show "American Idol" and a very nice guy.
*Rachael Kathryn Bell - up and coming actress on the the TV show "Suite Life on Deck" and very nice.
*Roger Cross - Best known from the show "24" and an AWESOME guy.
*Camryn Manheim - Best known from the show "The Practice" and nice.
*Sara Rue - From various smaller TV and movie roles and OK.

Friday I was out and about and went to a recording studio to help out with a project. While there I ran into:

*Lauren Tom - Best known as the voice of Amy Wong on the TV series "Futurama" and very sweet!

That same night I ended up attending another charity poker tournament for an organization called CAPE which helps Asian Americans in the entertainment industry. While there I ran into some folks and got some pics:

*Archie Kao - From "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" and all around nice guy.
*Kelly Hu - various movies and TV and very sweet.

At the movies:
Wow what an amazing show at the box office this weekend! One of those rare times where the little movie that could, did! Going from last week's 2nd place spot, "The Help" moves up to #1 and earns a hefty 20.5 million with a two week total of 72 mil. This may not sound like too much but considering this film isn't your mainstream popcorn movie, its quiet impressive. Holding on to #2 is "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" with another 16.3 mil as it gets a 134 mil cume. New at #3 is Spy Kids: All The Time in the World which is the 4th installment and also features 4D. The 4th being smell-o-vision ... who knows. New at #4 is the remake Conan the Barbarian 3D earns only 10 mil and I think the 3D may have killed it. New at #5 is Fright Night earning only 8.3 mil for its debut.

New movies that did not make the top 5: Just one this week but no big surprise since the screen count was less than 2,000 and not a lot of buzz on the film. In at #9 is the romantic-drama One Day earns a modest 5.5 mil for its debut.

Quote of the week:
"Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything." - George Bernard Shaw

Other News:
Top 10 movie remakes that didn't suck ... this should be an interesting list! #10: The Fly (1986) - from the original version in 1958 which was black and white and didn't care for either to begin with. #9: Oceans 11 (2001) - The original had an all star cast of its time much like the remake and I found the remake better. #8: The Blob (1988) - Another one that I didn't care for of either version. #7: The Italian Job (2003) - Didn't know this was a remake till now! This newer version was very clever and overall good action flick. #6: The Hills Have Eyes (2006) - I actually helped with the marketing on this one and never saw the original ... truth be told, I never saw the new one either. #5: The Magnificent Seven (1960) - remake of the classic "The Seven Samurai" which both films were really good. #4: Payback (1999) - Another two movies I never saw but I might actually see the later version. #3: King Kong (2005) - Saw both, didn't like either one at all but I am not a fan of movies with primates of any kind. #2: Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) - I do not remember the remake but I do remember the original which was OK but not my cup of tea. #1: The Thing (1982) - The original was from 1951 and never saw either but again, not my genre of films I like to watch.

Facts & Tips:
Cold water weighs less than hot water.

"A list, you, you want the whole list of every plant I've ever been to? Okay; Earth you never forget your first. Right!" - Ben Browder as Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell in the TV movie "Stargate: Continuum."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home