Monday, July 04, 2011

4th of July Edition

HOT! The summer is here! I guess last week I spoke to soon as the heat gradually came and then bam, close to 100 degrees on the weekend. Not sure what the extended forecast is but I am staying in doors as much as I can to avoid it. I guess this is great weather for us and the 4th of July weekend. I wish I had a big BBQ set up in the backyard to cook up some hamburgers and chicken. I should build one or have one built someday. I do love good bbq ... great bbq is better of course but good suits me just fine as well.

Weekly Update
Had a fairly busy week, lot of driving around and a TON of traffic. There has been so much freeway work lately and it will only get worse for months to come before it gets any better years to come. But aside from all that driving around, I did get to spend some time on set of a new Disney TV show that recently debuted called A.N.T. Farm which apparently stands for Advance Natural Talent. I guess the premise is this group of very smart kids who go to a high school and simply get into strange situations while another group of cheerleaders are the counterparts or the "good vs bad" to these kids. The first day of shooting, the show didn't seem that good but later on it did get better. The 2nd day was much more interesting and I think I might try to catch an episode or two if I remember. Pretty elaborate costumes going on in this particular episode. While on set I did get to grab some snaps with some of the cast:

*Alexandria Deberry- From the show "A.N.T. Farm" and very sweet.
*China Anne McClain- Also from "A.N.T. Farm" and extremely bright and talented.
*Sierra McCormick- Also from "A.N.T. Farm" and very bright and funny.
*Aedin Mincks- Also from the show and a little easily distracted but a nice kid.
*Stefanice Scott- Another cast member and very nice.
*Jake Short- Also on the cast and very smart and nice.
*Zendaya Coleman- From the Disney TV show "Shake It Up" and very nice.

At the movies
No big surprises at the box office this holiday weekend but the low numbers are bit concerning however. Taking the crown this weekend is the action sci-fi sequel of Transformers: Dark of the Moon of only 162 million. This movie opened Tuesday night so this number goes through Sunday (not calculating the Monday holiday gross in yet). Why is this concerning? The weekend business was only about 97.4 mil which is almost 30 million less than the previous Transformers film for roughly the same time line. I have heard this film was better than the previous but not as good as the first. I do believe the 3D is the factor that hurt the box office on this film with the surcharges scaring away the crowds a bit. Big drop to #2 is "Cars 2" with 30.6 mil, an unexpected 54% drop which should have been in the low 40's. However, "Cars 2" does manage to break the 100 mil with a nice 121 mil cume so far. Big drop to #3 as well is "Bad Teacher" with 14 mil more. New at #4 is the romantic comedy Larry Crowne with only 13 mil for its debut. Barely making the #5 spot is Monte Carlo with only 7.6 mil, just barely beating a movie that has been out for 4 weeks. I can tell how much faith Fox had in this film that they didn't even bother creating its own website ... clearly a throw-away film for them.

Quote of the week:
"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it." - Sir Winston Churchill

Other News:
Ok now I found a very cool list (to me anyway) ... the top 10 greatest athlete cameos in movie history! Let's see how it compares for me ... #10) Wilt Chamberlain: "Conan The Destroyer" - Ok, not an actor at all but the role was fine for him because he was just massive and had to challenge Conan. Plus he was also a huge part of the story/movie! #9) Derek Jeter: "The Other Guys" - now this was a very brief 30 second cameo for a not-so-funny movie. #8) Lawrence Taylor (LT): "The Waterboy" - yet another very short cameo and also not that funny, the movie was but not LT. #7) Lee Trevino: "Happy Gilmore" - His random appearances throughout the movie were great, this definitely deserves to be on the list. #6) Lance Armstrong: "Dodgeball" - Funny movie, terrible scene because Lance can't act at all. #5) Brett Favre: "There's Something About Mary" - Another funny movie was a really bad cameo that sort of brought the movie down a bit if you ask me. #4) Mike Tyson: "The Hangover" - This was a GREAT cameo however in the 2nd film it wasn't nearly as good. #3) Reggie Jackson: "The Naked Gun" - I vaguely remember it as being ok but not great ... the cameo that is, the film was awesome. #2) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: "Airplane" - Not only is this film a classic but so was Kareem! He did an incredible job of basically playing himself! This probably should have been #1 which was ... Cam Neely: "Dumb and Dumber" - Ok, who is Cam Neely? I remember his part as Sea Bass which was decent but who is he?! I do think some others were overlooked that should have been on the top 10 such as Andre the Giant in "The Princess Bride" who did an amazing job and Alex Karras in "Blazing Saddles" as Mongo ... these two can easily replace some on this list and should have!

Facts & Tips:
Pigs get sunburned.

"This is supposed to be my birthday party. Grandma is making out the invitation list. Sue Ellen is gonna hire some old-fogy band. And J.R.'s gonna use it for one of his big deals. And now you're gonna buy my clothes. I HATE THIS FAMILY!" - Charlene Tilton as Lucy Ewing Cooper in the TV drama "Dallas."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home