Monday, June 23, 2008

HOT!! That is pretty much what is going on around here. I am not sure if we had record temperatures but it is odd how we go from nice and breezy weather (high 60's to low 70's) and then just like a flip of a light switch we are at near 100 degrees heat. In the valley it was as high as 114 on Saturday. Some funky weather changes and patterns we are having and I heard just last week places like Toronto were hit with hail storms and the Mid-West had record flooding leaving thousands homeless. What the heck is going on here??

Weekly Update:
I had a pretty cool Saturday despite the heat!! First, I visited this guy (again) who does all the sculptures for Charlie Brown and the gang that you would see at places like Knott's Berry Farm. Then from there, I attended a birthday party that was outdoors ... both stops were very very warm as temps hit close to 100 degrees in both areas. But the cool part was the birthday party I attended. It was for this guy who I have gotten to know pretty well over the past several months and consider him a friend who happens to be a publicist. At the party I got to meet my semi-friend Doug Jones again (the Silver Surfer from Fantastic Four) and then met and took some pics with:

*Grand Bush- He was a very cool guy and has a lovely wife. You may know Grand from movies like "Die Hard" as Special Agent Johnson from the FBI.
*Al White- He is just a cool "cat" as they say. For me, he was most memorable as one of the "Jive" brothers in the film "Airplane."

It was a fun time, good drink, fun eats and great company!


At the movies:
He meant to do that! Comedy back on top as Get Smart takes the crown this week with 39.2 million to open. Holding strong at #2 is "Kung Fu Panda" with another 21.7 mil and now over 155 mil cume. As "Wall*E" opens this week, I am sure that it's hold will dip drastically. Holding in at #3 but with a significant drop is "The Incredible Hulk" with another 21.6 mil and just short of the 100 mil cume. In a very disappointing #4 spot is The Love Guru with only 14 mil to open. Not good at all considering the amount of media that went behind this movie. Rounding off the top 5 is "The Happening" with 10 mil more and the last time we will see this film in the records.

Quote of the Week:
"I smoke ten to fifteen cigars a day. At my age I have to hold on to something."- George Burns

Other News:
Famed and legendary comedian George Carlin passed away on Sunday from heart failure at an Los Angeles-area hospital. I had the privilege of watching him perform live once and overall enjoyed his rough and tough observational humor. Best known for being anti-establishment in which he achieved an iconic status in the 1970's with his famous routine, "Seven Words You Can Never Say On Television." Constantly battling with censorship, the country, religion and institutional ideas and ideals ... he was a rebel without a country but a strong cause. George will be missed as his passing sends a big ripple on the comedy stage ... he was 71.


Facts & Tips:
New York taxi drivers collectively speak 60 languages.

"All my brothers and brothers-in-laws tell me what a good-hearted guy I am. You don't get to be good-hearted by accident. You get kicked around long enough, you become a professor of pain."- Ernest Borgnine as Marty Pilletti in "Marty."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home