Monday, August 13, 2018

More fires and now in Southern California!  We know this one was caused by arson and currently is out of control.  Fortunately its not that close but I can see the fume of smoke clouds and started to notice ash.  No smoke smell though so that is good (so far).  I have seen some posts from people I know who have to evacuate, right now its voluntary but some of the images I have seen, it is right outside their backyard fence line which is scary!  Others posted of them across the street but any good gust of wind can flare up some embers and carry them over to a house.  Even a house that is miles away, that is how fires "jump freeways" because of winds.  Hope these get under control soon.

Weekly Update:
Earlier in this week I did some re-arranging of a display case.  Or I should say I went and bought another display case because of collectibles I got.  Funny how building this case, there were many pieces almost identical but with maybe one or two subtle differences.  I thought myself to be a really handy IKEA builder of products but this case had a top and bottom wooden piece that were practically interchangeable but one hole for a cord to install a light.  The wood overall was dark colored in nature and I did most of the assembly in the evening when it cooled down and could have the windows open instead of running the AC.  I built part of it when I realized the picture has a small hole but luckily because its IKEA furniture, I could just loosen some screws to fix it.  They are almost like Lego's but practical.

At the movies:
Big surprise at the box office as The Meg takes top honors with a 44.5 million opening!  Sets it on track to break 100 mil but the drop-off this coming week will give us a better picture.  Holding ground at #2 is "Mission: Impossible - Fallout" with another 20 mil and now on pace to hit 200 mil domestic.  Still a ways to go but high-potential for it.  Drop down to #3 is "Disney's Christopher Robin" with an extra 12.4 mil as it struggles along.  New at #4 is Slender Man with 11.3 mil and slightly below expectations but no surprises.  Rounding off the top 5 is BlacKkKlansman with 10.8 mil and a touch above expectations.  Look for this to show up on the award circuit though.

New movies that did not make the top 5:
Just one this week as Dog Days comes in at #12 with only 2.6 to open ... not surprised!

Quote of the week:
"Disease is the retribution of outraged Nature." - Hosea Ballou

Facts & Tips:
Potatoes have more chromosomes than humans.

"Oh, I get it. I should have known I mean your hair is always so sculpted and dude, your pants are really tight!" - Michelle Trachtenberg as Maggie O'Donnell in "17 Again."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home