Monday, May 14, 2012

Starting to actually feel like Spring!  The days haven't been too hot but warm with many breezes and the nights are chilly.  This is what I imagine an actual season to be besides rain, summer or hot for SoCali.  Did we miss something here because it is never like this when it's suppose to be.  Well, hopefully it will last a little bit longer, I like this weather because it isn't freezing and most importantly, it isn't HOT!  I always say, it is easier to get warm (or warm-up) then it is to cool down.  I will say this though, we do lack the floral aspect for this weather but that can be a good thing because it brings a lot of pollen which induces allergy season for many.

Weekly Update:
Overall long and busy week but Thursday was interesting.  I attended the LA Asian Film Festival opening gala event at the DGA and it was ... interesting and crowded.  They were showing a movie that an interesting mix of both Asian and non-Asian actors but I actually didn't watch it.  I just attended the event itself but skipped the film.  I did run into some folks while there who I have not met before:

*Aaron Takahashi - I know him best from the movie "Yes Man" and a cool guy.
*Eliza Coupe - Best known from TV series "Happy Endings" and "Scrubs," also very sweet.

At the movies:
No surprise at the box office this weekend as the super hero team of "Marvel's The Avengers" holds on to the crown with an extra 103.2 million for it's 2nd weekend.  It has a national cume of over 373 mil and the worldwide boxes surpassed 1 billion ... as predicted.  New at a far 2nd place is the "comedy" Dark Shadows as it earns 28.8 mil for its debut.  Slight drop to #3 is "Think Like A Man" which earns another 6.3 mil as it comes even closer to breaking 100 mil cume!  Drop to #4 is "The Hunger Games" with another 4.4 mil as it looks like it may fall short of 400 mil cume ... barely!  Rounding off the top 5 is "The Lucky One" with another 4 mil which should be end of this film in the top 5.

Quote of the week:
"Show me a great actor and I'll show you a lousy husband; shoe me a great actress, and you've seen the devil." - W.C. Fields

Other News:
Forbes.com released a list earlier this week which I found pretty interesting ... the top 5 highest buildings in the world.  I was also fascinated by this list because of the combination of uses some of these buildings represent instead of just a hotel or offices.  Starting at #5: Petronas Tower 1 and 2 - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.  I have seen these before (not in person) from the TV show "The Amazing Race" where one of the tasks had to be performed there.  This stands 1,483 feet and it is all offices.  #4: International Commerce Centre - Hong Kong, China.  Height is 1,588 feet and it is both hotel and offices.  #3: Shanghai World Financial Center - Shanghai, China.  Stands 1,614 feet and is also both hotel and offices.  #2: Taipei 101 - Taipei, Taiwan.  Stands 1,667 feet and only has offices.  And the tallest building in the world (currently) is Burj Khalifa (pictured) - Dubai, United Arab Emirates.  This stands at 2,717 feet and has offices, hotel and residence all within.

Facts & Tips:
The archer fish can spit water up to 7 feet to shoot down bugs from overhanging leaves.

"Yes, I have a dream, and it's not some MLK dream for equality. I want to own a decommissioned lighthouse. And I want to live at the top. And nobody knows I live there. And there's a button that I can press, and launch that lighthouse into space." - Leslie David Baker as Stanley Hudson in the TV series "The Office."

2 Comments:

At May 15, 2012, Blogger ZAC said...

It's been awhile! Very interesting facts about the tallest buildings in the world. I'd be interested to go see one of them. As for that last quote in reference to MLK's dream---hilarious!

 
At May 16, 2012, Blogger McDuck said...

Thanks =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home