Monday, April 18, 2011

What a busy week, this should go in the Weekly Update section but figured I would put it up top just because. I spent the weekend at the OC Fairgrounds helping at the booth for German Shepherd Safe Haven for the annual Pet Expo. The whole event was like the mini-county fair but with a lot more animals and less food stands or booths. But I had the customary funnel cake and that was about it ... I didn't see the big potato chips though, guess they decided not to come out to this event. I didn't really get to walk around the pet expo but I was trying to hand stuff out. I think the estimates were about 40,000 people over the 3-days but the traffic was crazy getting there and parking was another separate adventure! Overall, I think the event went great and I hope a lot of dogs found forever homes ... but I worry since I am sure a lot of the adoptions from all the other organizations were more impulse than taking the time to learn about the family and them learning about the pet.

Weekly Update:
BUSY week yet again! Ever since I returned from the convention in Vegas almost three weeks ago I have not had a moment to just unwind and relax. This past week was no exception as I found myself on the set of "Pair of Kings" again hanging out. Now hanging out may sound like nothing but I actually found myself running around a lot for some reason. I do enjoy just simply being there, just wish the following morning I don't have something to do. But this past week while there, I did run into someone:

*Chris Brochu- young up and coming actor who was recently in "Soul Surfer", small movie based on a true story and an incredibly nice guy.

On Thursday I attended the ground breaking ceremony for the new Boys and Girls Club of Boyle Heights which is scheduled to be ready by December. The foundation was already set and just based on that, the place looks amazing. I can't wait to see the finished product after all these years. There were a lot of studio execs there but one I have always wanted to get a pic with but have met many times is:

*Dick Cook- Former studio exec of Walt Disney Pictures and by looking at him you think Disney. He has had a few cameo appearances in some movies and a very sweet man.

At the movies:
Not a big surprise at #1 this weekend as we are in the Easter break time frame and animation takes the crown. Flying away with the crown at the box office is Rio with a hefty 40 million for its debut. In a LONG distant #2 is the fourth installment of what feels like a dieing franchise in horror, Scream 4 earns 19.3 mil which is enough for the second spot. Big drop to #3 but no surprise as its more-or-less animation vs. animation and "Hop" earns an extra 11.2 mil however it is closing in on the 100 mil cume mark. At #4 is "Soul Surfer" earning another 7.4 mil for its 2nd week. Rounding off the top 5 is "Hanna" earning an extra 7.3 mil and overall had a decent run.

Quote of the week:
"Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly succeed, and are right." - H.L. Mencken

Other News:
The Best and Worst Pizza Chains is the list this time! Let me see if I agree with it or not ... As Sbarro's heads to bankruptcy, who is left on the list? They do not mention if Sbarro would have been good or bad but I think I would classify it in the "worst" section. It is in the Least Likely to Succeed for chains and I do agree with that. There is no real care for their mall food court eats. Most Improved: Dominos (pictured) and I whole-heartily agree! They have made tremendous leaps and bounds with the quality of pizza and the current ad campaign is no lie! Even the online ordering process is pretty fun and unique. Worst For You: Uno Chicago Grill Deep Dish Individual Pizza. I have not had this one and to be honest ... I haven't seen an UNO'S pizza in about 20 years. Worst Tasting: Little Caesar's. I would agree with this since the company kind of went belly-up over 15 years ago, the pizza is more of a mass produced item now for a quick tummy stuffer with no real flavor. I will say their cheese bread is still pretty dang good. Best Tasting: Papa John's. Now this I disagree with because I think their flavors for ingredients are very bland, especially the cheese. The pizza sauce on the other hand is too sweet for my taste. Best Overall Pie: Pizza Hut's Pizza Mia. I have not had this one yet but I do love Pizza Hut in general especially the stuffed crust. Worst Overall Pie: Chuck E. Cheese. But why are you really going there for? For pizza they are not the worst but you can't expect much for a children's themed playground that just happens to serve food.

Facts & Tips:
The average American will eat 35,000 cookies in his/her lifetime.

"Salvation lies within." - Bob Gunton as Warden Samuel Norton in "The Shawshank Redemption

2 Comments:

At April 19, 2011, Blogger Unknown said...

Must've been busy that you'd have typo on you third word. Very unusual.

 
At April 20, 2011, Blogger McDuck said...

that is odd ... I think my keyboard is losing juice because I had a lot of typos like that and I thought I caught them all too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home