Monday, January 04, 2010

NEW YEAR EDITION

Spent New Year's Eve at home with a couple of sick dogs. Well, one wasn't really sick but we made it vomit because he ate a mushroom from the lawn. That was a fun experience, I am sure the dog loved it as well! Of course I am being completely sarcastic but the good thing is the procedure worked and the dog seems just fine now. Aside from that, just relaxed at home which is just fine with me on a night like that. I got most of my fun during Christmas which is a better holiday anyway to do stuff because it involves both food and having fun!

Weekly Update:
The week was pretty dang quiet ... I loved! I only went into work on Monday and then had the rest of the week off to do nothing. It is funny looking back on it and how last Tuesday to now seems such a SHORT time but then when it was last Tuesday it felt like time was good. Looking back though you wonder what happened to the time you spent. I was also struck with tragic news on Saturday night that a dear friend and colleague of mine passed away. Causes right now are unknown and exactly when she died are also not 100% sure. She was discovered in her apartment after she missed two work shifts on both Friday and Saturday. People had been trying to call her but no answer. After the 2nd shirt was missed, they sent police to her home where they found her dead and no evidence of either foul play or suicide. I am very fortunate to have gotten to see my friend, Cynthia Smith, not that long ago and also been able to keep in touch with her through the years and more so thanks to sites like Facebook. She was a great life force and friend ... with a sarcastic wit and full of life. The news so so shocking, someone so young and as far as I knew, healthy. Cynthia, you will be deeply missed ...

At the movies:
Surprise at the box office as "Avatar" continues to be #1 with an additional 68.3 million and now over 350 mil cume. I think this film will actually make its money back but the profit margin may be very slim. Up to #2 is "Sherlock Holmes" with 38.4 mil extra as it punches past the 100 mil cume mark. Drop down to #3 is "Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakuel" with 36.6 mil as it also passes the 100 mil cume mark. At #4 is "It's Complicated" with another 18.7 mil. Rounding off the top 5 is "The Blind Side" with 12.7 mil as it passes the 200 mil cume for the little film that could.

Quote of the week:
"Wealth consists not in having great possessions but in having few wants." - Esther De Waal

Other News:
Did you know that Guinness had video gaming records? I didn't either but according to the Guinness World Records 2010: The Book of the Decade, the most recognizable video game icon is ... Pac-Man! I can see that! Apparently it edged out Mario and John Madden but a well deserved acknowledgement. Other info about video game records: Biggest-selling video game of all time is Wii Sports at over 42 million copies. The most popular puzzle game of the century is Bejeweled. I think it is a fun game but I can lose interest in it fast for myself. Other records include longest time spent playing a massively-multiplayer online game (or MMPOG) goes to a Sara Lhadi who apparently spent over 700 days playing Runescape between November '04 to October '09. Which works out to about over 9 hours a day. Another semi-related record they mention is largest collection of Pokemon merchandise went to a Lisa Courtney who had 12,113 unique items ... now that is just crazy but then again I know folks with some outlandish collections. Maybe not as huge but you would think they were.

Coming soon are my BEST and WORST blog for 2009!

Facts & Tips:
Forty-six percent of leisure visitors to downtown New York City come from outside the United States.

"Oh, it's not in sight. There's a saying of my people that when you can look to the four corners and see only your own land, then you can truthfully say, "I have a rancho."" - Elena Verdugo as Estrellita Estrada in "The Big Sombrero."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home