Monday, December 14, 2009

HANUKKAH EDITION

Last Friday started this year's Hanukkah, or the festival of lights for 8 nights. Gifts for 8 nights, that is not a bad way to do things if you are a little kid. I mean so what if some of the gifts are tiny or little like chocolate ... its still chocolate! I think Hanukkah should always end on December 24th and then that way everyone could celebrate both holidays and get the BIG gift on the 25th! Also a way to unite two cultures/religions during the holiday times ... well, its a thought but at least somebody is celebrating something that is positive.

Weekly Update:
Sort of a minor busy week but it was also interesting on a couple of occasions. Last Tuesday work had some of the executive producers and writers from the TV show "Lost" doing a DVD signing which I thought was kind of cool. I don't watch the show personally but I have a few friends who do and I invited them to come over and meet them. I had no clue who any of these people were but I decided to take a picture with the two head guys there and it turned out ...

*Carlton Cuse- Not only one of the Executive Producers of "Lost" but he also worked on a show that I really liked called "Brisco County Jr." and he was such a cool guy.
*Damon Lindelof- One of the creators of "Lost" but he also produced the recent "Star Trek" and is working on the next one along with "Tron Legacy," also another very cool guy.

Later in the week (Thursday) I helped out with the annual Variety Children's Charity Luncheon at the Beverly Hills Hotel. Hanging out in the lobby doing some press interviews for his latest film was ...

*Matt Damon- He was a very approachable and a cool guy. He was sitting talking to someone and he saw me coming to him and got up to shake my hand.

At the movies:
Family is back on top this week as the newest addition to the Disney animated catalog takes the box office crown ... The Princess and the Frog earns a nice 25 million as it goes wide (previously on 2 screens for 2 weeks). Holding strong at #2 is "The Blind Side" with another 15.5 mil and now hitting the 150 mil cume mark. New at #3 is Invictus with 9.1 mil. Dropping down to #4 is "The Twilight Saga: New Moon" with another 8 mil as it races to 300 mil cume. Rounding off the top 5 is "Disney's A Christmas Carol" still hanging in there with another 6.9 mil as it is just shy of 125 mil cume.

Quote of the week:
"All the wrong people remember Vietnam. I think all the people who remember it should forget it, and all the people who forgot it should remember it." - Michael Herr

Other News:
Here is a sad list ... those entertainers we have lost this past year. A fond farewell to a selection of icons which I have posted throughout the year but a recap is due. In memoriam: Ricardo Montalban of "Fantasy Island" and "Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan" fame died in January at the age of 88. Natasha Richardson from such films as "The Parent Trap" remake and "Maid in Manhattan" died in March at the age of 45. Veteran actress Bea Arthur from numerous 70's sitcoms died in April just short of her 87th birthday. Comic actor Dom DeLuise died in May at the age of 75. Sidekick legend Ed McMahon died in June at the age of 86. 70's sex symbol Farrah Fawcett died in June at the age of 62. Music legend Michael Jackson who had 17 #1 hits died in June at the age of 50. Martial-arts expert and actor David Carradine died in June. News legend, anchorman Walter Cronkite reminded us of our history died in July at the age of 92. Legendary filmmaker John Hughes (pictured) leaving us with such classics as "The Breakfast Club" and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" died in August at the age of 59. Dancer-actor Patrick Swayze left us in September at the age of 57.

Facts & Tips:
Shrimp can only swim backward.

"Is that it? Is that all you're gonna ask me? Well I got a couple of thousand goddamn questions, you know. I want to speak to someone in charge. I want to lodge a complaint. You have no right to make people crazy! You think I investigate every Walter Cronkite story there is? Huh? If this is just nerve gas, how come I know everything in such detail? I've never been here before. How come I know so much? What the hell is going on around here? Who the hell are you people?" - Richard Dreyfuss as Roy Neary in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home