Monday, November 02, 2009

Daylight Savings Edition

Did you remember to set your clocks back an hour? I did, in fact I started to change them around the house around 6pm on Saturday. It was a very lazy day for me and since I had no plans I just changed them ... I like this DST (Daylight Savings Time) because we get that extra hour of sleep ... ah, sweet sweet sleep, how I miss you so.

Weekly Update:
Kind of a weird work week for me. Almost every department in our company has either been told they are staying after January or they are going (with the majority going) except our department. Our head of HR was in town and we thought, "Oh good, finally we will know and get the official word!" and her statement to all of us, "We still don't know about you guys, sorry." Great, so we continue to wait and this happened on Wednesday. I guess the parent company is going through some changes which may effect us I suppose. That is the only reason I can think of as to why they have not said anything to us. Then we get more crazy news on Friday as the head of the company announced that he will be leaving at the end of January and closing down the NY office while moving everything to LA! Ok, I have always said having an NY office (at least headquarters) in this business makes very little to no sense at all. The head of the company was the one keeping the NY office and pretty much all the people who are suppose to be with the company in NY. NOW, this happens and it changes everything but I am not sure if it will be good or bad. So, again we wait and wait. I am still assuming the worse right now because I haven't been told to think otherwise and we have already been prepared for the worse case scenario ... I'm ready for bed.

At the movies:
The music scene takes the movie box office this weekend ... but barely! The late King of Pop, Michael Jackson's This Is It earns top honors with a 3-day opening of 21 million and a 5-day opener of 35.9 mil. Very underwhelming as pre-sale tickets led everyone to believe this film could break 100 mil world-wide opening weekend and in reality, it flopped much like MJ's last record. Hanging on to the #2 spot is "Paranormal Activity" with another 16.5 mil as it makes a steady climb to a possible 100 mil. Holding on to #3 is "Law Abiding Citizen" with another 7.3 mil. Still hanging on and in at #4 is "Couples Retreat" with an extra 6.1 mil. Rounding off the top 5 is "Saw VI" as it plummets to earn an another 5.6 mil.

Quote of the week:
"Readiness is all." - William Shakespeare

Other News:
One of my favorite things ... lists!! This is a kind of a good one to think about during these tough economic times. This list mentions the top 6 thriving jobs that are here to stay! These are not listed in any particular order ... 1) Alternative Energy Engineers - This is a good one as more and more companies are looking at going "green" and ways to do this are constantly being updated and looked at. 2) Registered Nurses - Health care is on everyone's mind and I know the schooling of nurses have waiting lists of up to 4 years yet we can not get them through the programs properly fast enough that there is always a high demand but a low supply. 3) Accountants - I guess we all need them (if we can trust them) to help us stay afloat! 4) Paralegals - As lawyers get more and more swamped with things ranging from frivilous lawsuits to criminal matters, assistance is at a all time high. 5) Physician Assistants - kind of goes along the lines of nursing but not to that high of an extreme and level of difficulty. 6) College Professors and Post-Secondary Teachers - This is probably the biggest one of them all as all of these other 5 jobs rely on this one to get them to where they need to be!

Facts & Tips:
Bees' wings beat 11,400 times per minute.

"I-can't-help-it. It's-so-beautiful." - John Lasseter as Harry the Mosquito in "A Bug's Life."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home