Monday, September 14, 2009

Has the heat wave broken?! I wan to know!!! Yesterday was an exceptionally cool day but the rest of the week was very up and down. Overall however, it wasn't too bad. I think the summer heat could be over for us for now but it can easily fake you out. I am sure all the firefighters enjoyed the break from the heat as they continue to battle a couple of fires still in the south land. At one point in Sunday it almost looked it was going rain! Now that is what we do need!!

Weekly Update:
Kind of a nice mellow week as I spent most of it working from home to avoid the post-Labor Day traffic (which I heard was insane as usual). On Thursday I did help out at the first official convention for the newly formed Disney fan club called D23 Expo. The fan club itself is just called D23. It was very lack luster and the ABC folks really mismanaged their talent there which really set off a lot of people. I am very surprised considering it is all encompassing "Disney" and it sure left a very sour taste to probably a few hundred people. The bad thing about that is you know those few hundred will tell 10+ people each and it becomes thousands in a short time ... disappointing indeed, bad job ABC. I did manage to catch some of the kids from various Disney Channel TV shows thanks to the folks at Radio Disney who did a GREAT job:

*Debby Ryan- Very sweet girl, currently on "The Suite Life on Deck."
*Cody Linley- Cool guy and currently on "Hannah Montana."
*Nicole Gale Anderson- Also very sweet and currently on "Jonas."
*Doug Brochu- pretty nice and on "Sonny with a Chance."

I did end up going back on Sunday to see if I could catch some other folks but ... Disney blew it again and it was a total bust. This new D23 Expo needs a lot of work and re-tooling ... A LOT of it!

At the movies:
And the summer of movies is officially over as the crown this week goes to Tyler Perry's I Can Do Bad All By Myself earns a nice 24 million. Never dismiss those urban-esque films, they will surprise you. In at #2 and opened last Wednesday, 9 earns a 5-day total of only 10.9 million. Holding ground at #3 is "Inglorious Basterds" with another 6.5 mil and has now broke the 100 mil cume mark. Slight drop to #4 is "All About Steve" with 5.8 mil and close to being done. rounding off the top 5 is "The Final Destination: 3D" with an additional 5.5 mil.

New movies that did not make the top 5: We have a couple this week which is no surprise given the films. Coming in at #6 is the teen horror Sorority Row with only 5.3 mil and these pledges failed to be accepted. In at #7 is the "chiller" Whiteout with only 5.1 mil and pretty much all melted away.

Quote of the week:
"If we aren't willing to pay the price for our values, then we should ask ourselves whether we truly believe in them at all." - Barak Obama

Other News:
ANOTHER LIST!! This one seems kind of a fun one that I happen to stumble across ... name brand vs store brand items, which one tastes better? The list isn't too long but I am just going to point out a few of them and compare it with my own experience. #1) BBQ Sauce - KC Masterpiece Original ($1.96 per bottle) against Publix Original (never heard of it but it is $1.51 per bottle). KC won this with the mix of smoke, heat and sweetness vs the tomato-based sauce. Honestly KC has a very distinctive flavor and clearly my pick. #2) Frozen Lasagna - Stouffer's ($1.44 per serving) vs Great Value (Wal-Mart brand at $.88 per serving). TIE! This is a shocker because anything Wal-Mart quality is very sub-par but then looking at the notes they give, I can see the tie. Stouffer's was cited with more flavors (um, duh) while Great Value had firmer pasta (which sounds like not fully cooked to me). Who surveyed this?? #3) Salsa - Old El Paso ($.17 per serving) vs Kirkland Signature (Costco brand at $.10 per serving). Kirkland won with El Paso having more crisp and smoky flavors. Kirkland fared pretty well with more complex taste ... I am good with either one really because once you put it on a chip it doesn't matter as long as it taste good. Last one ... Brownie Mix - Duncan Hines ($1.95 per package) vs Market Pantry (Target brand at $1.32 per package). Tie and I can agree with this because its a brownie and sweet is sweet.

Facts & Tips:
In 1985, the fastest bicyclist was clocked at 154 mph.

"I hate you! I hate you! I wish I was never artificially created in a lab!" - Seth Green as Scott Evil in "Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home