Monday, August 17, 2009

The other day I was driving to work and it dawned on me, are university police like regular police? I guess it depends on the state and the county but were I live, the cars look just like regular police but they say University Police and the officers are dressed the same but I haven't seen one walking around to tell if they are carrying a firearm. The school is part of the Cal State system ... is their budget by school funds or tax payer? Are they just officers but assigned to campus duty? Huh, I wonder ... if they are regular police, where does their jurisdiction start and stop? Too many questions, I guess I could just go ask one of them if I see one next time.

Weekly Update:
Sunday night went to a comedy show last minute due to someone I know Facebooking about performing ... Facebooking ... or FBing it, when did that become a verb? Well, he wrote about performing at a restaurant that was very close to my house so we decided to grab dinner and then stay for the show. The food was good at the Cantina Lounge, the service was great and the show ... AMAZING! The last act, I haven't laughed that much in a very long time. The first two comedians were good but the last one (who was the guy I went to go see) was HIGHlarious!!! I was almost crying at some of the stuff he was saying. It was a really good evening and I got some pics with a couple of folks:

*Mark Christopher Lawrence- May have seen him on the show "Chuck" as Big Mike, the store manager for the Buy More and a nice guy.
*John Di Crosta- The guy I went to go see and I think I made a new friend. We will see if we do lunch in the next couple of weeks. He was VERY funny and VERY cool.

At the movies:
Sci-Fi reclaims the box office this week as District 9 takes the #1 spot but with only 37 million. Not a great number by summer standards but we are starting to wind down. Dropping down to #2 is "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" with another 22.5 mil and now just short of 100 mil which no doubt will make that sometime today. New at #3 is the sci-fi romance (?!) of The Time Traveler's Wife with 19.2 mil. Another low number but this is also a very confusing story. Slight drop to #4 is "Julie & Julia" with another 12.4 mil. Rounding off the top 5 is "G-Force" with 6.9 mil and amazingly almost to 100 mil cume mark!

New movies that did not make the top 5: We have three this week which are not too surprising. The first one comes in at #6 as The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard earns 5.4 mil. Not a terrible number considering it also only released in less than 2,000 runs compared to the #1 movie this week with over 3,000. Showing up at #9 is the animated film Ponyo with 3.5 mil. This is also a really good number consider it showed up at about 900 screens! Bombing at #13 this week is the tween film Bandslam with only 2.3 mil and having over 2,000 screens and an exclusive new "New Moon" trailer with it ... this film gets thrown into the pile of Summit Releasing bombs.

Quote of the week:
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain

Other News:
For me, it was kind of a slow news week but for the music industry it saw two greats pass away. Famed guitar designer Les Paul died on Thursday due to complications with pneumonia. He was surrounded by family and friends at a White Plains, NY hospital. Paul helped bring rock'n'roll to a whole new level with his work and in 1952, Gibson Guitars began production of the Les Paul guitar. His guitars and designs were and still are some of the most widely used in music on all levels. Paul was 94 ... a good life.

On another side of the music industry, band LIT drummer Allen Shellenberger lost his 1 year battle to brain cancer on Thursday as well. The Fullerton based rock band had some top hits like "My Own Worst Enemy," "Miserable," and "The Best Is Yet to Come Undone." The band can also be heard on numerous soundtracks from such movies as "American Pie 2" and "Mr. Deeds (2002)." The band has a successful restaurant in Fullerton as well called "Slidebar" which has some of the best mac and cheese I have ever tasted. Huge loss to such a young band. Allen was 39.

Facts & Tips:
Pigs were banished from Philadelphia's city streets in 1710.

"No it wasn't a dolphin, because if it was you would be over there playing with it!" - Blanchard Ryan as Susan in "Open Water."

1 Comments:

At August 18, 2009, Blogger ZAC said...

Tony, next time I'm in town with Jermaine we should double w/ you and Jen to Cantina Lounge. I've never been there but a guy I know runs it (I'm pretty sure). Don't they do free taco Tuesday every week?!?! I'm also interested in who this FB friend is? Was his humor clean? Sounds like fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home