Monday, July 13, 2009

HOT days, cool nights! Now it feels like a consistent summer as the days hit the high 80's to low 90's however the nights dip as low as 65. I like the cool nights but the hot days are too much as it will probably get even hotter from here on out through early September. But that is SoCali and that is the summer season for you. It has also been very dry which is kind of scary as it means fire season as well. Very dry heat lately. Some rain or moisture would be nice but I don't think we will see any of that till probably November if we are lucky.

Weekly Update:
I'm tired and the new week just started for me and it could potentially be a busy one! Last week was kind of relaxing, calm before a storm perhaps? Not sure but I did get some better sleep in general but its never enough for me. I use to rely on naps over the weekend but this time didn't really get chance for much if any. Maybe need to hit some coca-cola for a caffeine boost once and awhile this upcoming week ... I may just need it. Overall the past week was good, relative in town visiting for the week and it should be fun. The dog had surgery on Thursday and is doing well but hates the stylish cone-o-shame it has to wear for a week or so. The first day of the surgery, the dog was out of it but come the next day seemed pretty normal ... fast recovery!

At the movies:
No shocker here as the gay fashionnista Bruno takes the box office crown with his 30.4 million opening. Good number for this kind of film but it will be a very short lived reign. Holding strong at #2 is "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs" with another 28.5 mil and now over the 100 mil cume. Holding to #3 but still having sizable drops is "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" with another 24.2 mil and close to hitting the 350 mil cume soon. Despite the bad word-of-mouth on this film, it is sure to still be one of the top 3 of this summer in terms of grosses. Hanging on to #4 is "Public Enemies" with another 14.1 mil and could actually reach the 100 mil cume at this rate. Rounding off the top 5 is "The Proposal" with 10.5 mil.

New movies that did not make the top 5: I didn't think we would have a wide release in this category for the summer but sure enough. The throw-away film I Love You, Beth Cooper pops into the #7 spot with only 5 mil for a summer opener. This could be the worse summer opening and I say its a throw-away because clearly there was no support for its release.


Quote of the week:
"All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence -- and then success is sure." - Mark Twain

Other News:
LIST!! I found a new list which I thought was kind of interesting. This one is called "20 Most Worthless Pieces of Junk" and it focuses on the household things that consumers buy which are deemed worthless according to the list. This has the top 20 but I am going to focus on just the top 10. Starting at #10 - Books! I tend to agree and disagree on this one. I suppose you can't beat holding a good book to read but in this technological age, you can have one device the size of a wallet and it stores over 10,000 publications at your finger tips. #9 - Home Theatre Sound System. I disagree with this one because sound is an important part of a movie. The solution is not to have it LOUD but to have it encompass you so you are there in the experience. #8 - Ice Cream Makers & Bread Machines. I can agree mostly with this because the cost of ingredients plus the unit itself kind of adds up. Plus with the frozen yogurt craze re-surfacing you don't see much demand for ice cream. I will say this though, I do love a fresh loaf of bread but if you don't eat it all within the first day it isn't that special. #7 - VCRPlus Gizmos. I think this needs no explanation as anything with the word "VCR" in it is dead. #6 -Ionic Breeze. Never had one but I have friends who swear by them. I think it depends on how allergic you are to pollens? I think the ones from Sharper Image are cool but not worth the $100 plus they sell for. #5 - Single-Slot Piggy Banks. This seems more like a toy and a starter device for kids to save their pennies. Not really worthless but also not really a consumer good. #4 - Ab Rollers. Yeah, this is kind of dumb. #3 - Radar Detectors. I have always thought these were useless because with today's technology, police do not use radar. #2 - Wipe Warmers. Yeah, this seems kind of dumb too. Room temperature is not that bad plus wouldn't it cause them to dry out faster? And the #1 item is ... Happy Meal Toys! This is a big "depends" on the quality of the toy. I have seen some really dumb ones and wonder "why" but then things like "The Simpsons" or when "The Lion King" did toys which were pretty cool to collect. Once a chain did a "Wallace and Gromit" series which was just the coolest thing ever!

Facts & Tips:
Maine is the only state with a one-syllable name.

"Over six hundred channels and nothing to watch. Think I'll turn in. We have a big day ahead of us tomorrow." - Cliff Simon as Ba'al in the TV series "Stagate SG-1."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home