Monday, September 07, 2009

LABOR DAY EDITION

You know what is starting to really bug me and I don't know how people do it ... e-mails that come in after I leave work!! Ok, here is the dealio ... I like to try and keep a very clean inbox (and almost completely clean outbox) so I put things in folders on my work computer in case I need them for reference for later. So when I go home, there is next to nothing inside. I would say almost every day I sit at my computer and hit refresh so many times ... to get no e-mails for as long as 2 hours. Then, I finally decide to leave after no e-mails or phone calls. After I hit the freeway, buzz buzz buzz buzz ... E-MAILS!!! They pour in as many as 2 dozen in the span of 3 minutes. Sometimes I think it's the server and it's lagging and trying to catch up but it's never the case! The reason I know this is because sometimes I might get one e-mail or two, I will answer them and then I will get a response right away. I swear, the two times people wait to send me e-mails are either 1) I go to lunch and 2) I leave for the day!!! The lunch time also bugs me but I know I am going back to the office so I can clear it out. Seriously.

Weekly Update:
Not a bad week for me as it was pretty light ... I like that! Work was nothing exciting and just an ok week. The temps were pretty nasty during the day and it even started to get humid which is good because with all the fires going on, the firefighters needed it! I think the highlight of the week for me is I finally had lunch at the world famous Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles and it was really good. I'm not sure how many of these there are but I went to the one in Hollywood and talk about plain and simple good eats. Nothing fancy and who knew such a combination of chicken and waffles would taste so good. I clearly ate too much but it was a little bit of simple heaven which you don't get to have all the time. Definite place for a return visit and a great meal at a decent price.

At the movies:
Horror still hangs on to the box office lead as "The Final Destination: 3D" earns the #1 spot with an additional 12.3 million for the extended holiday weekend. Holding on to the #2 spot is "Inglorious Basterds" with another 11.7 mil and now almost to the 100 mil mark. Not sure if it will take another 2 or 3 weeks to hit it though but it should make it with no problem. New at #3 is All About Steve with a very disappointing 11.2 mil given the talent behind this film. Although I must say I knew it was a throw-away movie since its been on the books for over 2 years. New at #4 is the action film Gamer with only 9.1 mil. Heck, I am a gamer and this film look terrible to me. Rounding off the top 5 is "District 9" with another 7.1 mil as it barely breaks the 100 mil mark which honestly amazes me it was able to do it.

New movies that did not make the top 5: One this week and unfortunately it was Extract with only 5.3 mil and enough for the #10 spot. This is a ok movie with a great cast ... just couldn't break though and needed a bit more work to it. I am sure this film will be big in the home entertainment markets though.

Quote of the week:
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - George Bernard Shaw

Other News:

Essentially the summer is over on many different levels. While technically the season may not be but for schools, some jobs and the movies ... we move on to the next season. Looking back though, I found a nice list for the top 10 movies for the summer of 2009 from Rotten Tomatoes. Starting off with #10 is the surprise sleeper hit "The Hangover" which became this summers top R-Rated comedy. At #9 is "Bandslam" which I have no idea why it's even on the list as it failed on both box office and audiences. Showing up at #8 is "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" as we slowly see this franchise coming to a near distant end. Coming in at #7 is "(500) Days of Summer" which this little film surprised at the box office and with critic acclaim for this tiny film. At #6 we have the late summer release of "Inglorious Basterds" which did "OK" at the domestic box office. #5 is "District 9" and we can just move on. In at #4 is the little gem "Ponyo" which saw very few screens but did fairly decent. At #3 is "Drag Me to Hell" which didn't do that great dollar-wise but many have said it is a solid film. Showing up at #2 is "Star Trek" which is great re-inventing of this dieing franchise and also one of my top pics of the summer (but I didn't see that many movies to begin with). AND, the #1 film for the summer of 2009 (based from Rotten Tomatoes) is the animated film "Up" which is currently the highest grossing animated for the year so far!

Facts & Tips:
Baboons were once trained by Egyptians to wait on tables.

"I saw you die." - Tony Plana as Morales in "The Rookie."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home