Monday, September 21, 2009

Another week of really hot days and cool nights ... just when you think summer is over (not technically) you get hit with heat waves of close to 100 degrees. One day I thought we were going to have rain but just a lot of clouds instead and it remained hot still. Not sure what the next week will bring but I do hope it cools down ... just 10 degrees would be nice!!! I do like the cool nights however, there are no breezes to feel it when you have the windows open. Well, the price we pay for living in Southern California I guess.

Weekly Update:
I've had a busy week! I am not sure how it happened but it just did. I am glad it's over too! I guess it started on Tuesday where I met up with my friend John and Doug Jones because Doug was doing a signing at a store close to my work. So I hung out with them and met some other new folks. I also got a pic with ...

*Jordan Ladd- VERY nice person, does a lot of horror type films and is more known as the daughter to David and Cherryl Ladd.

Then Wednesday happened and that was a very crazy day just in itself! I had to leave work early and help out a the Children's Hospital of LA for their annual Radiothon and try and get pledges from folks who donated last year. Right after that, I had to go approve some artwork for a display we are doing. THEN, I went to support my friend at Fox at a "Jennifer's Body" event at Hollywood/Highland complex but while there, met up with:

*Diablo Cody- She was very nice and also an Academy Award winner for "Juno."
*Johnny Simmons- Sharp and nice guy. He was one of the kids from "Evan Almighty" and also the main star of "Hotel for Dogs."

THEN!!!! Later that evening (yes, still Wednesday) I went to a small screening for one of our films called "Boys are Back" but I knew I wasn't going to make the film so I went for the Q&A they did and reception afterwards. I got a chance to met:

*Scott Hicks- Director of the film and nice guy.
*Clive Owen- Really cool guy!

And the wrap it up, Friday I went to the Disney Lot for a special ABC TV event which was too dang hot to be outside for but oh well. I did catch some people there though:

*Greg Vaughan- From "General Hospital" and a really nice guy.
*Bradford Anderson- Also from "General Hospital" and a cool guy.
*David Arquette- He was wondering around the lot and was handing out some flyers ... weird but also a very cool guy!

At the movies:
Surprise at the box office just when you thought the summer rush was over ... Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs takes the crown this weekend with a hefty 30.1 million for this animated adventure. New at #2 is the comedy The Informant! with only 10.5 mil for it's debut. Holding in at #3 is "Tyler Perry's I Can Do Bad All By Myself" for an extra 10.1 mil. New at #4 is the romantic comedy Love Happens for a disappointing 8.4 mil. Rounding off the top 5 is the horror film Jennifer's Body with a very weak 6.8 mil for its opening.

Quote of the week:
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you." - Don Marquis

Other News:
This week started off sad as Hollywood loses another young icon. On Monday Patrick Swazye passed away after a short fight with pancreatic cancer in Los Angeles with family by his side. Swazye danced his way into the hearts of movie-goers in "Dirty Dancing" opposite Jennifer Grey as the rough and tumble dance instructor. His list of movies are some of my favorite including "Red Dawn" where the US is invaded by South America and Russian forces in this "what if ..." scenario. This was one of the first PG-13 rated films and I saw it when I had just turned 13 and was very excited. He has had many memorable performances such as Sam Wheat from "Ghost" opposite Demi Moore that can make the coldest of people shed a tear. Who can forget the surf hunk Bodhi from "Point Break" where Swazye's character robbed banks during the summer while spiritually surfing into oblivion. I actually had a very nice personal moment with Patrick Swazye and I remember it very well. I was working the MGM/UA premiere of "Dark Blue" at the ArcLight Hollywood Cinerama Dome Theatre. The film had just started and I was walking out of the theatre into the lobby (I was a theatre captain) when our director of special events grabs me and says, "Find him a seat" and as I turned to see who it was, it was Patrick Swazye. I replied, "of course, follow me please" and got him situated right away in the packed auditorium. As I waited for him to sit and started to walk back out, he grabbed my arm and said in a whisper, "Thanks!" and I shook his hand and simply replied, "very welcome, enjoy." Swazye was only 57.

Additional sad news, classic comic actor Henry Gibson passed away on Monday as well. Gibson was in such classic movies such as "The Blues Brothers" and "Inner Space" which were two of my favorites. He was more recently in "The Wedding Crashers" and some TV work including "King of the Hill." He is widely known for being on the TV show "Laugh-In." Gibson died in his Malibu home after a short fight with cancer. He was 73.

Facts & Tips:
Beavers were once the size of bears.

"Do you know what the definition of a hero is? Someone who gets other people killed. You can look it up later." - Gina Torres as Zoe Washburne on "Serenity."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home