Monday, February 02, 2009

Can you believe it's already February?? I felt like January went so fast however, it was a pretty good month with the Presidential Inauguration and then some events and meetings I attended. What will February bring? Hopefully it will be as cool as January. I did want to mention if you ever look in the night sky recently and noticed some planets but wondered what they were ... well easy, one that is sort of oblong, that will be Saturn and the other very bright one is Venus ... I am pretty sure those are the correct planets and this applies to Western Hemisphere (times in the night sky will vary). If you have pretty good star-gazing skies, you should be able to see them with the naked eye. I also love the winter time because my favorite constellation is out this time of year, Orion. You can always tell Orion by the three stars in a row that make a belt then another three starts tighter together between the 2nd and 3rd stars from the belt (right to left) which make the "scabbard" as Orion is "The Hunter" in Greek Mythology. From there, there are four stars surrounding the belt and scabbard in a sort of box like fashion which make up the arms and legs. Check it out when you can, it's pretty cool.

Weekly Update:
This is interesting and funny at the same time, on Friday I think I broke into a radio station and crashed an interview session with Miley Cyrus on the new and improved Radio Disney!! Here is the story ... I was returning from lunch on Friday and I noticed people setting up a stanchion and security guard by the Radio Disney studio which is now in the building I work in I was curious what was going on because you just don't see that every day. I check the Radio Disney website and they showed Miley Cyrus as being the guest and though I am not a big fan of her, I thought that was still kind of cool. SO, I know one person at Radio Disney and I sent her an e-mail but no response ... someone in the office was leaving early so I decided to go down with them and check it out. I managed to get into the radio station as someone was walking out of the doors. A lot of folks were inside and people were coming and going. I was in this little hall just outside the recording studio and I saw the one person I know from the radio station AND a friend of mine as they both looked at me in shock. I went to the door of the studio so my friend could see me waving my blackberry mouthing out the words, "check your e-mail" and she was just giving me the, "what??" gesture. She looks down at her phone to start texting me at which point I decided to just walk in and no one said anything or even noticed. As my friend was starting to text me I whispered, "what did you say?" and she looked up and responded, "what, you got in!" Later, Miley does her interview which took about an hour and I went out to the hall with a small group of people (mostly kids and I was standing at the end of the line) and got a picture with her ... crazy. I do have to say it was a funny adventure and on top of that, she was amazingly bright and cool.

At the movies:
Surprise this weekend as the suspense-thriller Taken earns the box office crown with 24.6 million. A solid number considering we are in off-season for movies and on top of Super Bowl Sunday. Hanging in strong at #2 is "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" with an additional 14 mil and still on course to break 100 mil when its done. I guess it shows that during these times, people just want to see stupid/dumb movies ... I know I do! New at #3 is the horror film The Univited with 10.5 mil. At #4 is the family film "Hotel for Dogs" with another 8.7 mil. Rounding off the top 5 is "Gran Torino" with an additional 8.6 mil.

New movies that did not make the top 5 this week: Just one this week and it would seem Lionsgate is having problems opening a film as of late. In at #8 the comedy New In Town with only 6.8 mil. I am not sure Renee Zellweger can open a film anymore.

Quote of the week:
"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment Response:
I do watch "Monk" along with "Psych", both are great shows. I didn't care for "Monk" at first till they changed the assistant. What is funny is that I never was going to get into "Psych" but I only did because my friend Don Davis called me from the set (the make-up chair actually) and was telling me about the show. He was on the pilot episode as the "bad guy". So I watched it because of him and got hooked! "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" I heard is just a silly/dumb popcorn movie.

Other News:
Yesterday was Super Bowl Sunday and it was a pretty good game. There was a glimpse of hope for the Arizona Cardinals late in the 4th Quarter but then the Pittsburgh Steelers came back in the last 2 minutes to score the game winning TD with a 27 - 23 victory. But that isn't important, what is are the commercials!! Usually when you have a good game (and this was a good one), the Super Bowl commercials tend to be terrible. When the commercials are really good, the game usually sucks. Not the case this year as we saw some excellent NEW ads and there were some really bad ones. Here are my pics for the top three consumer ads (non-movie related): All the NBC TV show ads were very funny and entertaining so they get #1. Right behind that were the Pepsi ads. Then I really thought the "Sprint - Roadies" ad was pretty cool. This is also the time we see some good movie previews and here are the top 2: "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" looked incredible. The new animated feature "Monsters vs. Aliens" was pretty dang funny. Now let's look at the flip side ... the BAD and they were bad. The top three for worst (non-movie related): All the car commercials, they were boring. Next are the "Go Daddy" ads, seriously, can they think of anything else now?? The worst of them all easy goes to the Sobe ad, it was the worst I have seen for any commercial in a long time. Top 2 worst movie ads: Disney/Pixar's "Up" ... it wasn't terrible but the problem was it wasn't new and when we watch ads during the Super Bowl, we want to see NEW! The worst though was "Fast and Furious 4", really? Why? Cheap special effects and was just ... unoriginal.

Facts & Tips:
There are one million ants to every human in the world.

"East and West, never the twain shall meet." - Ling Bai as Miss East in "Wild Wild West."

1 Comments:

At February 02, 2009, Blogger ZAC said...

I love Natalie on Monk. most of my friends who watch Monk liked the old assistant but I'm all for Natalie. Maybe because I started really watching Monk after the switch had already occurred. Very interesting Miley Sirus story!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home