Monday, January 05, 2009

NEW YEAR EDITION!

Last Thursday started 2009 and I have to say it felt kind of weird having New Year's Eve on a Wednesday and the day on Thursday ... then I still have the weekend to relax! Its both nice and weird but what is also strange is that both the holidays and New Years are over ... in reflection it feels like it just zoomed by us and we are back to normal before Thanksgiving time hit. What an odd feeling of ... normal. Be on the look out this new month as I do my annual "Worst and Best of ..." covering from movies, TV and foods!

Weekly Update:
I do like having these long weekends so close together. I caught up on a LOT of sleep and I also caught up on a few movies that I kept missing. I watched "Kung-Fu Panda" which was really fun and I actually watched "Mamma Mia!" which I found fun but not great. There were a few other movies mixed in there and I know I still have many more that I missed over the past year but ... what can you do. This year both Christmas and New Years Day both fall on a Friday so I bet that will feel a bit more normal for a weekend ... that is a bummer but it should still be fun I hope! I did enjoy all the lazy days I was able to take ... now, back to your regularly scheduled program.

At the movies:
The pooch still holds the box office crown this week as "Marley & Me" paws the #1 spot with another 24 million for the holiday weekend. Good number with a very low drop from the previous week however, nothing new opened this past weekend to give it any competition. Also hanging in to #2 and with even a lower drop percentage is "Bedtime Stories" with another 20.3 mil. At #3 is "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" earning another 18.4 mil. Hanging in at #4 is "Valkyrie" with 14 mil more and it might actually break 100 mil when its said and done! Rounding off the top 5 is "Yes Man" with 13.9 mil.

Quote of the week:
"Let us realize that the privilege to work is a gift, that power to work is a blessing, that love of work is success." - David O. McKay

Other News:
It sure has been an eventful first week of the new year and what better way to chime it in is with war. Israel invades the Gaza Strip, John Travolta's only son dies and everyone is waiting till January 2oth hits to swear in our next President. Interesting times we are leaving behind and even more interesting times approach us. There has been no secret or real peace within the Gaza Strip area and the inevitable seems to have happened. With constant attacks from Hamas, a very vocal and very violent terrorist group, I guess they broke the proverbial back of the camel. Israeli troops backed by tanks and air support fought against militants on Sunday of what seemed to be an overwhelming ground offensive. I do have to say that the Israeli Merkava Main Battle Tank is one of the most impressive combat vehicles out there and mixed with their experience and air superiority ... I do not see how Hamas has a chance face-to-face. On the flip side, John Travolta's 16-year-old son died after an accident hitting his head on either a bathtub or toilet seat ... or both. Such an unfortunate event to happen to such two incredible parents.

Facts & Tips:
Brain waves can be used to power an electric train.

"I've been thinking of a Rumarie theme for the mess hall next week. Lots of high-fat, greasy foods, and if people want to take off their clothes and chase one another... Well, it certainly wouldn't hurt morale around here." - Ethan Phillips as Neelix in the TV series "Star Trek: Voyager."

1 Comments:

At January 11, 2009, Blogger ZAC said...

I LOVE THAT QUOTE! I ESPECIALLY LOVE THE PERSON WHO SAID IT! I feel so sad for the Travolta family. You said they are great parents...what do you know about them?
As for your question: Who's Edward? He's the hero of the Twilight series! You haven't watched the movie yet?!?!?! That's another gag movie for us to watch when you bring Jen and come out for a visit...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home