Monday, July 28, 2008

Summer nights still remain cool and I hope that stays for the rest of the year! It has heated up some during the day but still cool enough to stay indoors and not turn on the AC. Hmmm, this opening of the blog lately has become a sort of weather report for the week. I need to change it up soon!

Weekly Update:
HOLY COW ... so I braved the traffic and crowds again and attended the 2008 Comic-Con on Thursday. First off, there was so much traffic getting down there that it took about 3 hours plus due to accidents on both freeways to the SD area. Then of course parking was still an issue but we managed eventually. Once inside ... BAM!! Wall-to-wall geeks and freaks as the eye can see. I made some friends in POW! Entertainment which is Stan Lee's production company and I was able to take my friends up to a special ballroom for them to meet Stan. I think they enjoyed that. Later on after much exploring of the convention hall, I muscled my way to the Fox booth and got my pics with some up-and-coming talent just before they were about to leave:

*Amanda Walsh- very charming girl.
*Matt Lanter- seemed like a pretty cool guy.

After the con, I scored some passes to the premiere of the DVD movie Stargate: Continuum, which is suppose to be the 2nd and last DVD movie after the series "Stargate: SG-1" ended. I thought it was a good movie and it was on the flight deck of the USS Midway in the San Diego harbor. I thought it was a pretty cool experience seeing a movie in the open air like that. Although the chairs were not very comfortable, the popcorn cold/stale and my neck hurt from looking toward the screen at that angle with no back-head support. I guess I am spoiled with the stadium seating now these days in theatres. So the access we had also got us into the after reception which was very intimate compared to most movie after-parties. Probably around 50 people which was GREAT!!!!! I had pics with most of the cast already but I still managed to pick up a couple more:

*Richard Dean Anderson- He seemed like an ok guy but still, its MacGyver!
*Lexa Doig- Very charming and a knock-out!

Finally, I also attended the premiere of The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor on Sunday and got some pics there as well. The movie was pretty good but the first two are still the best for me. I did like the use of the Terra Cotta warriors and how they came about in this particular storyline.

*Michelle Yeoh- Amazing!!
*Russell Wong- Pretty cool guy, easy going.
*John Hannah- Very like-able guy.
*Isabella Leong- Very nice person.
*Luke Ford- Way cool and nice guy!

At the movies:
No surprise here as the caped crusader takes the #1 spot again, "The Dark Knight" in its 2nd weekend earns another 75.6 million (I projected at 70 mil so a bit off but not too bad). With a two weekend cume of over 310 mil so far!! I am sure that breaks some records of having a 10 day total of over 300. New at #2 is the comedy Step Brothers with a nice 30 mil opening. Holding on at #3 is "Mamma Mia!" with an extra 17.9 mil. New at #4 is the suspenseful continuation of X-Files: I Want to Believe with 10.2 mil. Rounding off the top 5 is "Journey to the Center of the Earth 3-D" with another 9.4 mil and surprised its still in the top 5!

Quote of the week:
"It is only a truly dysfunctional system that would buy into the perverse logic that the short-term answer to high gasoline prices is drilling for more oil ten years from now."- Al Gore

Other News:
"Golden Girl" Estelle Getty passed away last Tuesday suffering from advanced dementia, she was 84. Getty best know as her sarcastic octogenarian Sophia character on the hit show "The Golden Girls" about four retirees sharing a house in Miami tapped into the older viewing audiences. The show lasted nearly 7 years and Getty's character firing out the verbal zingers made her one of the most endearing of the four. She will be very missed.

Facts & Tips:
Panda bears eat up to 16 hours a day.

"You can kiss my Neolithic butt!"- Jenna Elfman as Professor Veronica Micelli in "Krippendorf's Tribe."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home