Monday, April 09, 2007

EASTER EDITION

Where did the "hide the eggs" and rabbit come from anyway? I need a holiday special to explain this to me like Frosty and Rudolph did. Jesus came back and we have to hide the eggs? Why??

Weekly Update:
I like weeks like this because its only 4 days of work and 3 days of veg. The weather has been really nice here as well but the traffic was probably one of the worst which doesn't make a lot of sense. This past week we had Passover and a lot of Spring Breaks yet it was so bad road-wise. This should have been almost one of the best weeks next to the week between Christmas and New Years ... what happenend? I don't know.

At the movies:
"Lovely lady humps" as "Blades of Glory" holds on with another gold at the box office taking #1 with an additional 23 million. Also holding on to the holiday weekend at #2 is "Meet the Robinsons" with an extra 17 mil. New to the scene at #3 is the comedy Are We Done Yet? with a weak holiday opening of 15 mil. Also showing a weak opening is the double feature of Grindhouse with only 11.6 mil, goes to show you that people are not interested in double features anymore. Rounding off the top 5 with a very poor opening (however NO surprise at all) is The Reaping with only 10.1 mil and this film opened on a Thursday giving it a 4-day total of nothing.

New films that opened that did not make the top 5: The family film Firehouse Dog with only 4 mil which was barely enough to give it the #10 spot this weekend.

Comment Response:
Blonde- when you get the new blog set up let me know so I can fix my link. Sigourney is an amazing person and she is also a stage actor as well (usually for her husband's plays).

Other News:
"B.C." creator Johnny Hart passed away on Saturday from a heart attack at the age of 76. Though I am not a big fan of "B.C." itself but what I thought was interesting is that he died while at the drawing table which is probably the way he would have wanted to go being an artist and cartoonist. I am sure he had many devoted fans and it is alway sad when one of the funny ones does pass away.

Facts & Tips:
An ant's sense of smell is stronger than a dog's.

"Oh, you've got my favourite movie, Splendor in the Grass! What? Well, that's careless, they left off the G and the R."- Blythe Danner as Marilyn Truman from the TV series "Will & Grace"

1 Comments:

At April 12, 2007, Blogger Samara Oz said...

It doesn't surprise me that Weaver is also a stage actress. Stage-acting really heightens a performers skills. It removes the filter of the camera lense and the endless takes of getting a scene right. You really have to perfect your skills--it's just you & the audience.

McDuck, here's a little about Easter. I know that Easter, like Christmas, contains both pagan and Christian elements. People may convert to a new religion, but converting away their old culture is a whole different story. People tend to just mix the old with the new.

Eastre was a fertility goddess (I think Anglo-Saxon) whose symbol was the rabbit. Eggs have long been exchanged to symbolize the rebirth of the earth in springtime. I don't know where the game of hiding them came from, but I think it's probably just that--a game.

I taught my pre-school kids that the earth is reborn in the spring, just as Christ was resurrected after his death (winter). I told them that in the spring, new baby bunnies & chicks were born and that they should think of Jesus' rebirth when they see them. (They are all Christian. I used a puppet with a spirit body puppet on the inside and a flesh body puppet that fits over it to explain how our spirits leave our bodies at death; however, the spirit still lives and is reunited with the body at resurrection.) I told them about the promise of their own eventual resurrection.

As our culture becomes more secular & commercial, these symbols lose their meaning.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home