Monday, August 21, 2023

Hurricane?

Hurricane Edition

According to the news the last time Southern California was hit with a hurricane was around 87 years ago but was it really a hurricane and just not another storm?  The one that came over the weekend was a hurricane but when it hits land it reduces in strength drastically so we will just have a storm or what they call a "tropical storm," I'm not sure what the difference is because to me a storm is just a storm.  Both have wind and rain with clouds so... why call it differently?  But this one is named Hilary and they said we should get a lot of rain equal to a whole year... which isn't a lot to be fair.  Some flooding maybe but I think it will just be a nice way to clean our streets and air for a few days.  Maybe windy so I'll move anything loose in the backyard into the garage.  But above all, we need that rain!

Weekly Update:

I am not sure if I wrote about this before but Costco again.  So, since Costco switched from American Express to Visa, I stopped showing my card or membership when I enter.  No one asks me for it but I see people ALL the time show their card.  Why?  You have to show your a member if you want to buy something so why show it at the entrance to begin with?  Sure if they ask me for it I'll show it but I don't see why you need to show it yet people do instinctively and I see the worker just node their head and click their clicker.  But also when people take the time to look for their card to show, they block a good part of the entrance with their body and cart.  So keep the flow going!

At the movies:

A new #1 this weekend as Blue Beetle earns top honors with a modest 25.4 million to open.  Not a great number for the superhero genre and may lead to a very quick burn out.  Slight drop to #2 is Barbie with 21.5 mil extra and now past 550 mil cume for domestic, still on a solid track for 600 mil.  Holding at #3 is Oppenheimer with 10.9 mil more as it's very close to 300 mil cume and should get there with no problems.  Dip down to #4 is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem with 8.4 mil and should get to 100 mil total but will struggle a bit.  Rounding off the top 5 (and new) is Strays with 8.3 mil and I have to say the ad campaign for it felt pretty weak.

Quote of the week:
"I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck." - Emma Goldman

Facts & Tips:
There is a pink lake in Australia named Lake Hillier.

"Mastodon!" - Walter Jones as Zack Taylor, aka The Black Ranger in the TV series Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home