Monday, August 22, 2022

Thanks Mom, for everything!

Beloved mother, wife, sister, daughter and friend to MANY, Nancy Cheng has passed.  She was always ready to help anyone who asked from feeding them to helping find a place to live.

Some of the interesting stories she shared about her life with me or I was around for them…

- as a very young girl, she would spend time with some of General Chennault’s Flying Tiger pilots between missions.  They would give out treats to her and the other kids.

- She was the first Asian (or “International” student) at Carroll College in Helena, MT.

- Once Pat Nixon wrote her a letter after my grandfather told Richard Nixon how she was struggling living in the US… I really wish she saved that letter!

- She was one of the founders of the Rancho Santiago College Nursing Program that grew and would have a 2 to 3-year waiting list to get into.

- In 1989, took a sabbatical from teaching to visit hospitals in China and show them western nursing techniques.

- During her sabbatical, the Tiananmen Square protests and massacre occurred.  Chinese nurses and students feared for her safety and quickly snuck her out to get her back home safely to the US.

Survived by her two geeked-out techy sons who can either tell you every single Star Trek original series episode premise or recite Star Wars Episode IV line-by-line.

Thanks Mom, for everything!

Weekly Update:

Do you feel like some days you are the only one taking the crazy pills and everything is normal OR are you normal and every one else is taking the crazy pills??  That is how I felt all this week from the beginning to the end.  I'll tell someone something and then they either don't understand or did not hear what I said then the either ask me the same question for something I just said or say what I just said back to them as if it was a new thought in their head... WHAT IS HAPPENING?!?!  I had at least 5 or 6 conversations like this and I am either losing my mind or the world has... or maybe both!!  I don't know anymore but I hope it gets better soon or I may go more bonkers than I already may be!

At the movies:
New at #1 this week, Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero takes the lead with 20.1 million.  A pretty solid number for not only this time of year but also for a movie of this nature.  Also new at #2 is Beast with 11.6 mil and not much else on this film, could be a quick Summer burn.  Drop down to #3 is Bullet Train with an extra 8 mil and starting to slow down.  Could still reach 100 mil but it may take a long while.  Holding the #4 spot is Top Gun: Maverick with 5.9 mil as it continues the climb to 700 mil, still a bit shy but on course for it!  Rounding off the top 5 and a big drop is DC League of Super-Pets with another 5.8 mil and these pets are probably all home by now.

Quote of the week:
"Never apologize for showing feeling.  When you do so, you apologize for the truth." - Benjamin Disraeli

Facts & Tips:

Earth's sky is purple, our eyes just see it as blue.

"So Bart, if you could e anyone else, who would it be?" - Brooklyn Decker as Palmer in Just Go With It

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home