Monday, April 01, 2013

APRIL FOOLS EDITION

This is no joke!  Get it??  No? never mind ... but today is April 1st and of course comes the foolishness that surrounds this day.  How did it start?  Does it really matter?  I support foolishness as long as it doesn't get out of hand and it is funny.  Pranks, jokes, zingers ... they are all good as long as its tasteful, funny and safe!  Everyday should be foolishness day!  Except the big food holidays, those are NO joke!  But we need more levity in the world.

Weekly Update:
WONDERCON!!!  This weekend was the pre-cursor to San Diego Comic-Con called WonderCon and for the 2nd year in a row held at the Anaheim Convention Center so it was just one city away from me.  I only attended the Friday because I heard Saturday was just simply insane being sold out.  The Con compared to last year was much better attended and they even doubled the size from last year.  However word on the street is that this is the last year it will be in Anaheim because it should be returning to San Francisco since the remodel of the facility will be completed (previously it was thought it would be done by last year).  I enjoy having this convention so close and going for a day but oh well, if it moves back I may still go again if I can get my free badge.  This year is also the anniversary of Superman so there was quite of bit of themed stuff leaning in that direction.  But while there I did meet one of the original "Stargate" cast members:

*Alexis Cruz - From the original movie and returned to the TV show to replay his character Skaara.  Great guy!

At the movies:
Not to many surprises at the box office this weekend as the sequel leads the box office ... G.I. Joe: Retaliation comes on strong with a nice 51.7 million 5-day opening (started on a Wednesday).  I believe worldwide this film has already crossed the 100 mil cume mark plus some change!  Holding ground at #2 is "The Croods" with another 26.5 mil as it makes its way to 100 mil very soon.  New at #3 is Tyler Perry's Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor earning not only 22.3 mil at the box office but also having one of the longest movie title names!  Also holding ground at #4 is "Olympus Has Fallen" with 14 mil more.  Rounding off the top 5 in its 4th week is "Oz: The Great and Powerful" with another 11.6 mil and JUST shy of 200 mil cume!

New movies that did not make the top 5:
Just one this week as the disappointing The Host comes in at #6 with only 11 mil for its debut.  I guess the famed author of the "Twilight" series wasn't able to strike gold again in this new series of books of aliens instead of vampires.


Quote of the week:
"If you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a terrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Other News:
Sad week for me when I learned mid-week that a friend passed away from cancer.  Writer and friend Don Payne passed after fighting cancer over the past few years.  I saw him about a year ago and he looked OK, walking with a cane but he kept a low profile about his condition.  It's time like these you wish you kept in closer contact or simply drop an e-mail or phone call to say hi.  Don was such a great guy and has three lovely boys.  I first met Don about 7 years ago when his movie "My Super Ex-Girlfriend" was going to be released and he happened to call my office looking for some movie posters.  He said on the phone he was the writer and turned out he was on the lot so I was happy to help him out since all I had to do was walk over to his office.  He was also a "Simpsons" TV writer but at that time a writing consultant but still considered part of the cast/crew.  He was always happy to sign posters for me to give to charity to help raise money but also asked me why I would want to devalue them with his signature.  Don continued to write other films and I did get to work on another, "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer" and I brought him and Doug Jones (the Silver Surfer) together for lunch.  Don continued to write more films such as "Thor" and the sequel due out later this year, "Thor: The Dark World."  Don was 48.

Facts & Tips:
Jousting is the official sport in the state of Maryland.

"He punched the highlights out of her hair!" - Johnny Simmons as Young Neil in "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home