Monday, February 04, 2013

Hot and cold ... make up your mind.  This week it was pretty much warm days and cold nights.  I mean I guess that is how it should be but for winter time it should be cold all the time.  If I have to wear a jacket, I just want to be able to wear it all day and night, simple.  But I guess it can never be that simple.  I wouldn't mind some rain but only after I get to the office and then it pauses till I get home, perfect.  We had some good rain recently but then I noticed up in the mountains it wasn't very snow covered so we clearly need more so we can ensure some fresher water for a few more months once the season is over.

Weekly Update:
On Friday morning, and I mean MORNING!!  I went to Universal Studios for some re-shoots of the upcoming film R.I.P.D. which is one of this summer blockbusters.  Can't say much about the film but I did grab some pics with a couple of people and found a bunch of minions running rampant the lot as well:

*Robert Schwentke - Director of the film and a really cool guy.
*Marisa Miller - Supermodel and in the film, super awesome.

Then on Saturday morning, went to a special (and small) event to launch Stan Lee's Kids Universe and met the host:

*Jaime Pressly - best known from "My Name is Earl" and super cool.  Funny thing, I met her YEARS ago back in Atlantic City during a convention and we talked for about 10 minutes but at that time, no one really knew who she was.

At the movies:
The unusual rom-com wins the box office as Warn Bodies earns an ice 20.5 million for its debut during the award season and Super Bowl madness.  The movie is a little slow but cute and fun to watch at least once.  Average drop to #2 is "Hansel and Gretal: Witch Hunters" with 9.2 mil more.  Slow drop to #3 is "The Silver Linings Playbook" with 8.1 mil as it continues its way to 100 mil cume.  Slight drop to #4 is "Mama" with 6.7 mil and should fizzle out pretty soon.  Rounding off the top 5 is "Zero Dark Thirty" with 5.3 mil.

New movies that did not make the top 5:
Just two this week (which isn't good) ... at #6 is the action film Bullet to the Head with only 4.5 mil for its debut.  Not good for a brand new film with over 2400 screens.  All the way down to #17 is the comedy Stand Up Guys with only 1.5 mil but in their defense they only went on less than 700 screens.

Quote of the week:
"The toughest thing about being a success is that you've got to keep on being a success." - Irving Berlin

Other News:
Eight Retailers That Will Close the Most Stores by 24/7 Wall St.  These are the top eight retailers to not completely disappear but close the most stores in 2013 and honestly, none of them really surprise me at this moment.  I don't really see any kind of order of these other than they just put them in 1 through 8. #8) RadioShack (pictured) - I know a few years ago they tried to re-brand which didn't work and they estimate 450 to 550 out of their 4,412 stores closing.  They had a one-year stock performance of (68.1%) and really surprised they are still around with their 2nd rate quality merchandise at very high prices. #7) OfficeMax - 150 to 175 out of 872 stores to close.  They had a one-year stock performance of 80.8% which doesn't sound terrible to me but I prefer Staples. #6) Gamestop - 500 to 600 out of its 4,471 stores with a (2.2%) 1-year stock performance.  I was never a big fan of Gamestop because I thought they completely ignored computer gaming for console gaming and had overpriced their merchandise. #5) Barnes & Noble Booksellers - 190 to 240 of their 689 stores and had a 1-year stock performance of 8.95%  Booksellers have been struggling for years now but I like B&N.  #4) Office Depot - 125 to 150 of it's 1,114 stores with a 1-year stock of 50.7%  #3) J.C. Penny - 300 to 350 of it's 1,100 stores and a 1-year stock of (53.6%).  JC Penny recently went through a new policy and company image change which apparently didn't work and they are back-peddling.  #2) Sears Holding Corp. - 175 to 225 of its 2,118 stores with 1-year stock of 8.8%  I would think Sears would close more than that with strong competition from other retailers and especially online.  #1) Best Buy - 200 to 250 out of their 1,056 stores with a 1-year stock of (36.8%).  I think in general online and very poor in-store customer service is what hit them hard.  I have had nothing but positive experiences but have read so many negative in-store incidents.

Facts & Tips:
Licking a stamp burns 10 calories.

"Your species is even weaker than I expected." - Clifton Collins, Jr. as Ayel in "Star Trek."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home