Monday, February 11, 2013

Kind of a crazy weather week with reports of hail in the Southland.  I didn't see any of it because the day it was hailing (supposedly) in the OC, I was in LA.  And when I was in LA, I had nothing but sun till I drove out of the parking garage and it was raining but not too much.  The days were very cool, maybe mid 60's but the nights were crazy cold like mid 40's.  Now this is winter!  But very little rain which was disappointing in general because we can always use it and my car can use the wash.

Weekly Update:
Wow am I ever tired this week.  I have had to wake up earlier than normal all week and I don't like it one bit.  I did get to sleep in a little on Saturday but not enough, I sure could use a lot more.  In fact, as I am writing this out I want to take a nap.  But aside from lack of sleep, it was a pretty tame and boring week overall.  Not much going on at all but it could be from just simply being drained maybe.  I did find this cool new comic book store near by, only been open for about 3 months.  They are very small but very cool and its called The Comic Book Hideout.  I wish it was in a better shopping center but there is plenty of party, just not a lot of (or any) foot traffic.  But what can you do I suppose and rent could be good there.  I hope they make it, need more of these types of stores around because they are disappearing thanks to the Internet.

At the movies:
Not a big surprise at the box office but the amount is surprising.  In at #1 with a BIG margin is the comedy Identity Thief with 36.6 million for its debut.  I don't think anyone saw this gross coming.  Slight drop to #2 is "Warm Bodies" with another 11.5 mil.  New at #3 is Side Effects with 10 mil for its opening.  Hanging in at #4 is "The Silver Linings Playbook" with an extra 6.9 mil as it quickly makes it way to an 100 mil cume.  Rounding off the top 5 is "Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters" with another 5.8 mil as it quickly comes to a burn out.

Quote of the Week:
"I had rather have a fool to make me merry than experience to make me sad." - William Shakespeare

Other News:
Here is a cool list ... top 10 movies that battled for blockbuster success ... #10) The Road vs The Book of Eli - I never saw either movie, they both looked bad to me but I believe in terms of blockbuster The Book of Eli won while The Road received more praise.  #9) Top Gun vs Iron Eagle - hands down Top Gun was the better movie, I think the kid aspect ruined Iron Eagle. #8) Return of the Jedi vs The Last Starfighter - tough one for me because Starfighter had so much potential but obviously Jedi won this one easily. #7) Lincoln vs Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - of course the first one is nothing but critical acclaim but Vampire Hunter just sounds funny ... however it isn't a comedy and did very poorly. #6) Ben-Hur vs Spartacus - wow, this is a tough one because both are awesome classics!  Ben-Hur brought home the gold which mattered more back in that day.  #5) Dante's Peak vs Volcano - I remember the era of disaster films and how each year there was two of them with similar situations ... I am not sure which one won but I think they both did poorly. #4) Tombstone vs Wyatt Earp - Tombstone hands down won this one as Wyatt Earp was nothing but very long and very boring. #3) Deep Impact vs Armageddon (pictured) - another two of the disaster movies yet Armageddon came out on top on many levels include music oddly enough! #2) Braveheart vs Rob Roy - both had critical acclaim but I found Rob Roy rather boring compared to Braveheart which I think ultimately won on many levels. #1) Saving Private Ryan vs The Thin Red Line - Ryan was an amazing movie with some great effects while Thin Red Line ... just disappeared and didn't really attract much.


Facts & Tips:
The Lemon-Yellow Tree Frog is only active in the darkness of night.

"champagne wishes and caviar dreams." - Robin Leach on the TV series "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home