Monday, January 17, 2011

MLK Day Edition

Today is Martin Luther King Day in remembrance of a man who we should example our lives from. Martin Luther King, Jr. strived for some very simple things ... unity and equality. I would like to think since his famous speech at the Reflecting Pool at the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, DC that as a nation we have lived up to his words but sadly, we are still so far from it. We need more than just a day to help us learn or remember him but what is really frightening is will there be a time eventually when we forget who he was and what he stood for? Right now so many just see this day as an extended weekend from school and work. It should be seen as a day for reflection, helping one another and tolerance. He had a dream ... let's try to live it a little.

Weekly Update:
I'm tired again but that is my own fault for going to bed late so many nights but couldn't help it either! Pretty average week till Wednesday hit and I went to this independent film premiere. No party but I did catch some folks during the red carpet arrivals which was nice:

*Peter Jacobson- Not there for the movie but ran into him at the theatre, best known from the TV show "House" and a nice guy.
*Paz Vega- Best known from "Spanglish" and very sweet.
*Lake Bell- From "What Happens in Vegas" and very nice.
*Nick Stahl- From T3 and "Sin City" and a pretty cool guy.
*Jamie Chung - From "Sorority Row" and incredibly nice.

The rest of the week was just filled with busy stuff for friends. I did go out to Hemet on Saturday for a lunch with some in-laws. The great thing about that was they make the best tamales EVER and I got to bring some home ... they will be gone soon.

At the movies:
Not a big surprise at the box office and also a nice little boost for one of the slowest month for this industry. At #1 is The Green Hornet with a nice 34 million holiday opener. New at #2 is the comedy The Dilemma with 17.4 mil. Slight drop down to #3 is "True Grit" with 11.2 mil more. Jumping up to #4 is "The King's Speech" with 9 mil as it is a big contender for this awards season. Rounding off the top 5 is "Black Swan" with 8.1 mil and another contender for this year's award season.

Quote of the week:
"Do not fear death so much, but rather the inadequate life." - Bertolt Brecht

Other News:
Ok now this is a good list to look over especially during these depressed financial times. It is the Worst and Best Credit Cards of 2010 according to The New York Times. They were rated based on varying factors of course which included fees and benefits. Looking at the worst first ... there isn't any particular order but one is First Premier MasterCard that has an 79.99% APR. This was endorsed by the Kardashians and cited as being the most hated card. Also on this list is a store card; the Best Buy Reward Zone MasterCard which has little disclosure on details. The Applied Bank Unsecured Visa Gold Card. Apparently Applied Bank offers no grace period so as soon as you swipe the card, interests starts accruing and not the typical three to four weeks later. On the flip side to all of this, some of the best cards found were PenFed Visa Platinum Cashback Rewards Card (which has WAY too long of a name) and the Fidelity Investment Rewards American Express Card ... another way long name! Both these cards offer the best cash-back. The Simmons Visa Platinum and the PenFed Promise Visa Card both had the best low-interest rates. Chase Sapphire Card (HEY, that is what I have!) and Zync from American Express had the best reward point credit cards.

Facts & Tips:
Jupiter spins so fast that there is a new sunrise nearly every 10 hours.

"She's so pathetic. Let me tell you something about Janis Ian. We were best friends in middle school. I know, right? It's so embarrassing. I don't even... Whatever. So then in eighth grade, I started going out with my first boyfriend Kyle who was totally gorgeous but then he moved to Indiana, and Janis was like, weirdly jealous of him. Like, if I would blow her off to hang out with Kyle, she'd be like, "Why didn't you call me back?" And I'd be like, "Why are you so obsessed with me?" So then, for my birthday party, which was an all-girls pool party, I was like, "Janis, I can't invite you, because I think you're lesbian." I mean I couldn't have a lesbian at my party. There were gonna be girls there in their *bathing suits*. I mean, right? She was a LESBIAN. So then her mom called my mom and started yelling at her, it was so retarded. And then she dropped out of school because no one would talk to her, and she came back in the fall for high school, all of her hair was cut off and she was totally weird, and now I guess she's on crack." Rachel McAdams as Regina George in "Mean Girls."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home