Monday, November 29, 2010

POST THANKSGIVING DAY EDITION

I love the traditional Thanksgiving dinner because it has a lot of my favorites ... mashed potatoes (usually like them creamy, cheesy, buttery or chunky), stuffing (no raisins!), some kind of strawberry jello with cream, yams, cream sweet corn (not a corn-on-the-cob person, too much work), TURKEY with some crispy skin, Honey baked Ham, Hawaiian sweet rolls or the layered flaky rolls, and top it off with a slice of pumpkin pie with whip cream. Those are the things I like and as leftovers it is all good for days! Happy Thanksgiving everyone, hope you had a good one.

Weekly Update:
Kind of a crazy week meeting with a few friends and of course Thursday was Thanksgiving ... I was so sick of food and I did not think I ate that much either. Granted I had two Thanksgiving feasts but kept them both simple and small portions. Yet after the second meal of the day (which they were pretty far apart from each other) I was so stuffed I literally had to go lay down because I couldn't move ... yes I know, I had to move to go lay down but you know what I mean! But it sure was better than the one year many many moons ago that I went to FOUR Thanksgiving "dinners" ... I put it in quotes because one was like a lunch and the last one of the night I only had dessert because I was so freak'n full I couldn't think anymore that day ... I was crazy.

At the movies:
No surprise at the box office as we see a repeat of the crown this past holiday weekend. In at #1 is "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" earns a nice 50.4 million for the weekend and now the film is over the 220 mil cume. New at #2 is Disney's Tangled with a solid 49.1 mil opening (69.1 mil for the weekend with a Wednesday opening). Good hold at #3 is "Megamind" for its 4th week with 12.9 mil. New at #4 is Burlesque with 11.8 mil (17.2 mil for the 5-day). Slight drop to #5 is "Unstoppable" with another 11.8 mil.

New movies that did not make the top 5: We have two this week and neither one is a big surprise with the performance they brought. In at #6 is Love and Other Drugs with only 9.9 mil for its debut (14 mil for the 5-day). Right behind that in #7 is the action film Faster with only 9 mil (12.5 mil for the 5-day) and I guess it describes how quickly the movie will be out of theatres.

Quote of the week:
"The press can hold its magnifying glass up to our problems and illuminate problems heretofore unseen, or it can use its magnifying glass to light ants on fire, and then perhaps host a week of shows on the sudden, unexpected dangerous-flaming-ant epidemic. If we amplify everything, we hear nothing." - Jon Stewart

Other News:
The holidays close on a sad note as both film and comedy suffers a major loss. Comedy legend Leslie Nielsen passed away in Fort Lauderdale, Florida on Sunday. The Canadian-born actor died from complications from pneumonia at a hospital near his home early Sunday evening. Best known for his bumbling police detective Lt. Frank Drebin from "The Naked Gun" film series, he has had quiet a career. He has had some series (and memorable) roles such as the sci-fi classic "Forbidden Planet" and the 1972 disaster movie "The Poseidon Adventure" to just name a couple. But one of his best roles was the serious Dr. Rumack on the HIGH-larious (pun intended) "Airplane!" film. A film wish so many quotable one-liners which many came from Leslie's character such as, "I am serious, and don't call me Shirley." If you do not understand the line ... wow, go do yourself a favor and watch the movie! Such a huge loss, a funny guy and philanthropist. I got the chance to meet him once a few years ago and he was a nice guy ... Nielsen was 84.

Facts & Tips:
The square dance is the official dance of the state of Washington.

"I'm not even embarrassed it, and I'm usually embarrassed by everything." - Emma Stone as Amelia in "The Rocker."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home