Monday, December 13, 2010

It's almost winter but what is nice about this season is the stars. The winter constellation for Northern America has some of my favorites including Orion (The Hunter) and the Big Dipper. My favorite is Orion because I guess it was the first constellation I ever discovered and sort of mapped out when I took Astronomy which was a class I really did enjoy. So check out the winter sky when it gets dark enough ... look for three bright stars in tight row with three tighter stars just below them off 90 degrees. Then all of that is surrounded by four individuals stars in a box shape around the three ... you have Orion.

Weekly Update:
So so tired!! What a crazy week this has been ... where do I even begin! Monday I went to a screening of the upcoming film "Little Fokkers" which is the third installment of the "Meet the Parents" series. The film was ok but definitely no where near as good as the previous two. Tuesday had a fantastic dinner with the rest of the Young Variety board members for the holidays. Thursday started a crazy next three days for me ... first Thursday morning went to the Fox Lot for another "The Simpsons" table read which was fun script this time. While there I sneaked in a couple of pics:

*Julie Kavner- Her main character is Marge Simpson and she doesn't do pictures because (I believe) she doesn't want people to know the face behind the voice of the character. But she is a very sweet person.
*David Silverman- Directed "The Simpsons The Movie" and a cool guy.

Right after that I then went to a charity function where a bunch of families got a holiday dinner and got to meet Santa Claus. Friday had to get to Burbank for a quick minute and then an hour drive to Ontario, California to have an amazing lunch with a bunch of friends. Saturday another early morning as I helped with the gift giveaway at the Variety Boys & Girls Club of Boyle Heights. This is the last time they will do this at the facility for it is being torn completely down and hopefully this time next year we will have a brand new state-of-the-art facility! Well, I'm pooped now!

At the movies:
Very week numbers at the box office this past weekend with some major disappointments I'm sure. New at #1 is the third installment of the Narnia series, Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of The Dawn Treader opens to a very low 24.5 million. No wonder Disney dropped this franchise and Fox picked it up. No doubt the price tag on this film surpassed the 150 mil mark just in production alone ... shame. This franchise pretty much died after the first movie. What happens when you put two highly priced action stars together in a terrible story ... not much! In at #2 is The Tourist with only 17 mil for its debut and the combo of Depp/Jolie did not have the crowds rushing to see it. Slight drop to #3 is "Tangled" as it made another 15.6 mil and just surpasses the 100 mil cume mark. Bigger drop to #4 is "Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 1" with 8.5 mil as it passes the 250 mil cume mark. Rounding off the top 5 is "Unstoppable" with another 3.8 mil which I think this will be it for this film.

Quote of the week:
"Appeasers believe that if you keep on throwing steaks to a tiger, the tiger will turn vegetarian." - Heywood Brown

Comment Response:
Of course the new week we had sunny skies again ... so yeah, rain is needed all over I guess.

Other News:
As you know, I love lists and I found another one just in time for the holidays ... 20 toy fads that you can't believe we bought into ... let's check this out! These are in no particular order and created by Babble.com? Pokemon - from TV, movie, cards and toys this was kind of a lame thing which I agree ... people were into this?? Giga Pets?Tamagotchi - I do remember these but never got one because I thought it was kind of dumb to care for a virtual pet on a key chain ... I would prefer an invisible dog on a leash. Pick Up Sticks - I did enjoy this but I do admit it was kind of a dumb toy/game because you could just get chopsticks and play the same thing! Bok Choy Boys - Never heard or seen these before but they do seem like the kind of thing you get out of a gumball machine ... dumb. Easy-Bake Oven - I never had one but I thought these were interesting. I once saw one made for a computer (the size of a hard drive) and thought THAT would be cool to have! Magic 8 Ball - I had a few of these before but they were promotional items and silly but I would never buy one. Ouija Board - Never had one or played one ... it looks interesting though. Baby Alive Doll - I guess it alive? I've seen them but never had one, obviously. Barbie - What I don't quiet understand is people collect these? I guess since boys collect GI Joe's, why not collect Barbie's. Bakugan - Seen these things and I guess its a toy/game of battle balls? Looks interesting but not worth it at the same time. Zhu Zhu Pets - what what? Motorized hamster robots ... oooookay. Webkinz - huh? I guess these are basically a stuff animal. Silly Bandz - rubber band bracelets in the shape of animals ... draw one on a piece of paper would probably just work as well! Skip It - I remember this toy and its pretty good exercise too but never got one of these. Lego - OK, I disagree on this one because Lego's rule!!! Beanie Babies - another thing that people collect and I'm not sure why. Furbies - The name is kind of disturbing to me but another mechanized stuffed toy that looks scary. Tech Dech - these are skateboards ... for your fingers! What in the world?? Seriously a waste of time and money which has no physical contribution to kids ... yeah, my fingers could use a work out I guess ... what? Colorforms - never seen these but I guess they are vinyl laminated shapes which you do nothing with. And the biggest fad I can remember ... Cabbage Patch Dolls - Never had one but seen them around A LOT growing up. I thought they were the ugliest things and I remember they came with adoption papers for kids ... wow.

Facts & Tips:
Philadelphia was the first capital of the United States.

"You have been Omerized!" - Sam Golzari as Omer in "American Dreamz."

2 Comments:

At December 13, 2010, Blogger ZAC said...

Ryan requested ZhuZhu pets for Christmas. It's all the rave among the elementary school kids. And I learned very quickly that Warrior ZhuZhu pets are different than Rock Star ones. It's a whole new world...

 
At January 02, 2011, Blogger ZAC said...

P.S. I was very shocked at how cool I find the Zhu-zhu pets. I even took time to play with them, Ryan at my side!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home