Monday, September 06, 2010

LABOR DAY EDITION

No BBQ's for me, just trying to rest but ended up busy with some semi-fun stuff. Semi being some of it was fun and other stuff was not really fun but wasn't terrible either. I mostly tried to stay warm since we got hit with another heat wave recently but the evenings have remained clear and cool which is always nice. I guess that makes for a nice holiday weekend for folks to enjoy before heading back to school and work (along with mass traffic) on Tuesday.

Weekly Update:
This has been a full week for me, at least it sure felt that way. Let me see, what was going on ... what can I remember!! Well had some lunches come up but Friday I went in to Fox for a BBQ but they ended up not having one. But still got lunch with some good friends so that was well worth it. On Saturday I went to the Dodger's Game (aka "DOYERS!") and despite them losing, it was still a great game with free food and 3rd row seats. We were almost eye level with the field and right behind first base thanks to my friend Mike. While there I ran into ...

*Michael Voltaggio- He was the winner of "Top Chef" season 6 in Las Vegas, NV. He threw out the first pitch of the game and was a cool guy.

Then EARLY Sunday morning I went to Camelot Golfland to help with a production shoot my friend was doing. I helped in the sense I set up the location for the shoot since my friend owns the place (well, his family does). He was fun but way early for me for a holiday weekend! But I did get a picture with this person who I sort of know ...

*Valerie Perez- Has not done anything major, just some very minor stuff but she is trying to find work out there and is amazingly smart and beautiful.

At the movies:
Kind of a surprise at the box office this weekend however these numbers are not complete since it has only projected Sunday and not the Monday holiday. But as it stands, in at #1 is The American with a 5-day total of 16.1 million since the film opened last Wednesday. Holding strong at #2 is "Takers" with another 11.5 mil. New at #3 is Machete with 11.3 mil. Kind of a disappointing opening if you ask me. Big drop to #4 is "The Last Exorcism" with 7.5 mil. Rounding off the top 5 is the romantic comedy Going the Distance with only 6.9 mil which is very disappointing since this movie also had the highest screen count for the new films this holiday weekend ... the summer is over!

Quote of the week:
"The darkest hour in any man's life is when he sits down to plan how to get money without earning it." - Horace Greeley

Other News:
A list came out recently of the top movies for 2010 (so far) by AOL/Moviefone ... but I am not sure on what the criteria was for this list. Let's look at the top 10 so far ... #10: "A Prophet" - heard very little to nothing on this film so can't comment on it. #9: "Kick-Ass" - Have not seen it yet but heard it was a great movie with tons of action and comedy ... a HARD R film with violence and language which it did well at the box office this year. #8: "Despicable Me" - Another film I have not seen yet but heard it was a solid film with great characters and looked good in 3-D. One of the top 5 films of the summer in terms of box office receipts. #7: "Winter's Bone" - Have not seen it but this is more of an Oscar contender than anything else. #6: "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World" - Have not seen it but heard mixed reactions to this film plus it had a poor performance at the box office. #5: "The Kids Are All Right" - and heard the film was alright, not worth seeing. #4: "The Secret in Their Eyes" - Another Academy consideration type of film and in the Foreign-Language categories. #3: "How to Train Your Dragon" - Heard this film had some heart and looked good in 3-D. It kicked off the summer for us this year and did very well at the box office. #2: "Inception" - Mixed on this film but mostly positive. Mid-summer release with strong box office coming in #2 or #3 in terms of gross millions. #1: "Toy Story 3" - Saw this one and loved it. Great closure to a terrific trilogy and the highest grossing film of the summer which also breaks other records in animation and Disney/Pixar Studio numbers.

Facts & Tips:
Holland is the only country with a national dog.

"I'm Agent Johnson, this is Special Agent Johnson." - Grand L. Bush as FBI Agent Little Johnson from "Die Hard."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home