Monday, August 09, 2010

What a tiring week it has been ... a little bit warmer than it has been but I could have used it a bit cooler. You know its kind of hard sometimes to live next to a golf course in the mornings. You want to sleep with the window open but then at least once a week they mow the grass before the crack of dawn. I know why they have to do it that early because you get crazy golfers at first light but still. Small price to pay I guess for always having a nicely cut lawn for a view.

Weekly Update:
So this was cool, the other day at the office I went to my car during lunch to grab something I forgot. When I was in the parking lot elevator coming back I ran into Aries Spears who is best known as one of the cast of "MadTV" but does have some minor film and TV roles. He was a pretty nice mellow guy who snapped a picture with me.

I also went to the OC Fair on Thursday, an annual tradition for me now. Every year the seem to feature something new on a stick that is deep fried for your eating pleasure. Not sure what was last year but some of the stuff in the past have been Twinkies, pickle, White Castle burger, and Snickers bar on a stick. All of them dipped in batter and then deep fried to an oily golden brown. This year has probably topped the chart with the new feature of ... butter on a stick! Yes, the put a stick into a stick of butter, dump it in batter and deep fried it. Then they throw in some whipped cream and drizzle chocolate on it like some sort of Sunday ... why?!? There is also a garlic version (pictured) which is still bad! I had to pass because, well, gross is gross but that is just ... gross. They did have something called "The Coronary Combo" which was the deep fried butter and chocolate covered bacon.

At the movies:
New #1 at the box office this weekend as comedy chimes in. The action-comedy The Other Guys earns top honors with a nice 35.6 million to open. Definitely ranks up there for both stars of the film as one of their highest (if not the highest) openers for them. Drop down to #2 is "Inception" with 18.6 mil. Dancing it's way to #3 is Step Up 3-D with 15.5 mil which isn't that bad however way below its previous openers. Drop down to #4 is "Salt" with another 11.1 mil as it closes in at 100 mil cume. Rounding off the top 5 is "Dinner for Schmucks" with another 10.4 mil.

Quote of the week:
"No one has ever bet enough on a winning horse." - Richard Sasurly

Other News:
Here is an interesting and cool list I stumbled across ... and I do mean stumbled! The top 10 Best Dance Movies and I say stumble because compared to these that is what I would be doing in them ... #10 - Stomp the Yard (2007): Although I never saw it, I do like a good crew dance routine if done right. #9 - Moulin Rouge (2001): Another one I never saw but I thought this was more about singing than dancing. #8 - White Nights (1985): Yet another I never saw but I have seen a routine from it which was cool. #7 - That's Entertainment (1974): Never saw it from start to finish but the numbers I saw were pretty great. #6 - All That Jazz (1979): Never finished watching this one but it was ok. #5 - West Side Story (1961): GREAT choreography and the first dance sequence is one of the best. #4 - Chicago (2002): I should watch this, I have it ... in fact I have a few copies for some reason. #3 - Dirty Dancing (1987): I don't know if this has best dance but it does have some good stuff, not sure if I would have ranked it as high though. #2 - Saturday Night Fever (1977): Classic but not a fan of the 70's at all. And the #1 Best Dance Movie of all time according to this list ... Singing in the Rain (1952): Totally agree with this from the solo dance of Gene Kelly in the rain to Donald O'Connor's "Make'em Laugh" number ... not to mention many others in such a terrific film. Some others that I shocked to not see on the list were Footloose (1984), Seven Bride for Seven Brothers (1954), and more recently Hairspray (2007). I might have even thrown in Xanadu (1980) into that list which was Gene Kelly's last feature film!

Facts & Tips:
The average person uses 150 gallons of water per day for personal use.

"We're very lucky in the band in that we have two visionaries, David and Nigel, they're like poets, like Shelley and Byron. They're two distinct types of visionaries, it's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water." - Harry Shearer as Derek Smalls in "This is Spinal Tap."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home