Monday, June 21, 2010

Oklahoma City?! Yeah, I was there and it was HOT!!! I thought we got some heat waves here in SoCali but they have us beat!! The days I was there it was easily in the 90's each day and the evenings ... high 80's with a ton of humidity! One or two days of that is one thing but several ... I think my brain is partially melted. Well, I am back home so hopefully the brain will re solidify and maybe into something better this time!! Oh and by the way, flying in and out of Denver sucks. Here is a good joke I heard once ... why does Oklahoma have so many tornadoes? Because Texas blows and Kansas sucks!

Weekly Update:
Not much to say about this past week other than it felt both really long and then really short. I think leading up to my trip it felt long because I was anticipating it and then when I was on the trip it flew by relatively fast. I guess that happens a lot. I wish I had more time on the trip but also at the same time, I am glad to be home. It is always nice to come home to familiar surroundings and you just have everything you need from foods, to resources, to ... everything! Short trips can be fun too and I think I may do a short trip at least once a year to some place I haven't been before in the US ... why not!

At the movies:
Big numbers at the box office which are both expected and unexpected. The end of an era as the animated hit Toy Story 3 takes top honors this weekend with a hefty 109 million!! This is the unexpected gross since the previous Pixar films over the past few years have been gradually building but not to this extent. The expected part was this was easily going to be #1 at the box office. Holding good at #2 is "The Karate Kid" with another 29 mil as this re-make is now past the 100 mil cume mark! Dropping to #3 is "The A-Team" with another 13.7 mil as it struggles along this summer. Holding on to #4 is "Get Him to The Greek" with another 6.12 mil. Rounding off the top 5 is "Shrek Forever After" with 5.5 mil as it now passes the 220 mil cume mark.

New movies that did not make the top 5: Just one this week as the Western setting anti-hero comic book turned live action film of Jonah Hex comes in at #8 with only 5 million. This film is done before it even started and is this the end for Megan Fox since none of her films outside of "Transformers" have opened?

Quote of the week:
"People only see what they are prepared to see." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Other News:
Five brands of cars that ... faded away! We saw them and they died ... in no particular order, #1: Mercury - this was a brand of the Ford Motor Company that was around for over 70 years. Originally created to offer Ford customers a premium vehicle but after so long it became weak itself. #2: Hummer - This one is from General Motors (GM) and they are actually phasing this brand out at the end of the year. With the world on a "green" attitude, this gas guzzler and space consuming vehicle will never make it. #3: Pontiac - another GM but this was an attempt at a muscle car since the late 1920's and of course, it just doesn't have any appeal anymore. #4: Saturn - yet another GM brand aimed more at affordability and customer service. The company has only been around since the mid 1980's but its future is history. #5: Oldsmobile - GM can sure crank them out as this was a mass-producing vehicle attempt but just look at the name ... first three letters are OLD!


Facts & Tips:
There are 118 ridges on the edge of a United States dime.

"It's a girl! Get away from my daughter, Dan." - Charles Robinson as Court Clerk MacIntosh 'Mac' Robinson in the TV series "Night Court."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home