Monday, March 08, 2010

My week felt kind of long. I am not sure why because it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. Perhaps it was the lack of sleep? The hours? I am not sure but it just felt ... long. I am going to guess it was the lack of sleep and for days I felt on the verge of getting sick but was able to keep it at bay for about 85% of it. Now the weekend is over and I feel around 95% better and still no sleep ... (explained in the Weekly Update).

Weekly Update:
So I had a VERY long and CRAZY weekend!! Left Friday morning to Scottsdale, AZ for a friend's bachelor party and it was all non-stop from there. Rode in a big van with about 7 other guys, including the groom-to-be, and it was about a 6 to 7 hours of driving but honestly, it did not feel that long at all. Going to SF is a little shorter but feels longer, but maybe because I am so use to that drive it just seems boring now. Friday night we went to a hot spot for the locals and it was packed of course. Then the rest of the night was just filled with drinking. Although I don't drink, I did enjoy just hanging out with everyone. The placed we stayed at was kind of odd because it looks like it was a place built for maybe 6 people but they managed to fit 16 bed in there! Two floors, 3 kitchens (but one main one) and TV's every where! It was kind of cool, very cramped and no rest whatsoever!! Saturday was more drinking with a baseball spring training game between the A's and the Angels along with more drinking. I am glad I went along as the official designated driver because then I was able to make sure everyone got home safely. It rained on Saturday night and Sunday coming back. One thing I noticed about the rain in AZ ... it didn't rain a lot but the drops that did come down were big fat droplets!!! Now ... I am ready to go to bed!

At the movies:
No surprise at #1 this week but what is a shock is the dollar amount! The crown goes to Alice in Wonderland which earns a HUGE 116.3 million for its debut. This is a big number considering this time of year you don't see figures that high. With this film taking every IMAX and the lion's share of the 3-D screens out there, that can be a big contributor to its numbers with the premiums associated with those. New at #2 and at a very distant spread at that is Brooklyn's Finest with 13.5 mil to open. Average drop to #3 is "Shutter Island" with another 13.3 mil. With a weaker drop than anticipated to #4 is "Cop Out" with another 9.1 mil. Rounding off the top 5 is "Avatar" taking in an extra 7.7 mil.

Quote of the week:
"How's that hopey changey thing working out for you?" - Sarah Palin

Comment Response:
Well my post will still be weekly, what I meant is if I did the Best/Worst of then it throws things off. My favorite film of 2009? I think I would have to go with the re-vision of "Star Trek" which was pretty dang amazing.

Other News:
Big night in the movie industry as the 82nd Annual Academy Awards took place. The big surprise (to most but not me) is "Hurt Locker" taking the big ones away from "Avatar" like Directing and Best Picture. But honestly, if you really think about it, I personally do not think "Avatar" should have even been nominated for either category, well maybe Directing. Without question the film is visually amazing and the technology surround the movie is ahead of its time ... but that is where it ends for that film. Another winner of the evening (and again I disagree with) is Mo'Nique for "Precious" because honestly, she is not an actress for the art but simply for the money. Aside from "Hurt Locker" I think the big winner was, and no surprise to anyone, Sandra Bullock for "The Blind Side" but not because of just her performance but because of her attitude and personality. Sure the many films she has done in the past aren't exactly Oscar-style films but she was still great in many of them and this one let her shine out-loud finally! Well, I think the best part of the evening was the job of the dual-host of Steve Martin and Alex Baldwin who I both really like as entertainers. Steve Martin has always been my favorite and Alex Baldwin is just brilliant overall. Not a bad night.

Facts & Tips:
Honeybees are the only insects that create a form of food for humans.

"No Daddy, NO!" - Brandon Molale as Kevin Ward, the N.Y. Jets Quarterback in "Mr. Deeds."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home