Monday, November 13, 2006

Last Tuesday was election day and it looks like the Democrats took control of the Senate. I knew the campaigning that Bush did would help! He sure made a point to remind folks about Iraq and how well spoken he is that it clearly helped the vote.

In case you missed it, that was all sarcastic ... however I do offer him thanks for his campaigning because if he didn't do that, the Republicans might still be in control (phew) ... and I am even registered as a Republican but that is what I love about our system, I am not forced to vote such.

Weekly Update:
Spend the later half of the week in Concord, CA for a meeting presentation seminar for theatre managers and owners for Northern California. It was the usual fare of stuff and I had to show many movie trailers (previews) of ones that I am sure most of the folks have seen many times over ... boring. However I did get to show a brand new Simpsons movie trailer which was suppose to hit screens last Friday but more testing was being done so it has been postponed.
It is cool being able to show something before it hits the screens. I liked when I was at MGM/UA and got short clips from the actual movies to present.

So during the drive up, as soon as I got off the freeway into the city, my car died. Basically the transmission went out and it would cost $2300 to fix/replace starting. The value of the car itself is only $2400 at best given its condition. So, got a rental car which I will drive back and the transmission place that looked at it bought it off me for $200 and my plans to get a new car have been stepped by several months than expected. What a crazy few days this has been. When I got back I did some car shopping and I was really interested in the Lexus 400h Hyrbrid but I could not get a good price (or what I thought would be) with the features I was looking for. Then as I was shopping around, I spotted the Lexus IS250 and the color it was in ... Sapphire Blue and basically it looks like blue sometimes, and then black most of the time ... it was pretty cool. The gas mileage was very comprable to the Hybrid because the 400h is still an SUV. So, when all was said and done, I got the Lexus IS250 and pretty happy with it thus so far (pictures are not of the actual car and colors are different for the most part).

At the movies:
Our crazy Kazakhstan journalist is on a roll as it takes the box office crown for a second weekend in a row! As word-of-mouth spreads on this film, the shows keep selling out as "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan" brings in another 29 million and a cume of 67.8 thus so far! No sign of running out of steam for the crazy mis-guided reporter! Holding strong to the #2 stop is "The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause" for another 16.9 mil. Right behind at #3 and almost neck-and-neck is "Flushed Away" with an additional 16.7 mil, talk about a close race between these two family films. New to the scene is Sony's Will Ferrell laugher Stranger Than Fiction as it crawls into #4 with only 14.1 mil. Not a BAD number but expectations I am sure were looking north of 20 mil that did not show up. Still cutting away in the top 5 at #5 is "Saw III" with 6.6 mil and a large profitable cume of 69.9 mil.

New to the box office scene in major release pattern are several movies that did not make the top 5. 1st one at #8 is the thriller The Return with only 4.8 mil, didn't expect it to "return" such weak numbers. At #10 is the change of pace Russell Crowe film A Good Year with only 3.8 mil ... clearly not good of a year at all for Crowe on this film. And at #13 this week ... yet another MGM big box office weekend is Harsh Times with only 1.8 mil as this urban LA City drama clearly stayed in LA. The print count wasn't exactly huge on this on this film but enough to show it was done before it started.

Comment Response:
Regarding the Borat comment: Wow, yeah Borat blew the numbers out of the water and it has been selling out in theatres on a Wednesday afternoon ... now that is crazy. There is definetly a lot it could potentially offend namely the Jewish community and maybe even the Gay community however, its comedy gold.

Other News:
He may have been a crazy old coot, but he was a great coot. Oscar winner Jack Palance died last Friday at the age of 87. I know he has been in countless roles but I remember him best as the crazy brothers Curly and Duke in both City Slickers and City Slickers II: The Legend of Curly's Gold opposite Billy Crystal. Jack Palance died of natural causes and will sorely be missed.

Facts & Tips:
Each year, the average American eats about 15 lbs. of apples.

"I can count to potato."- Johnny Knoxville as Steve "Jeffy" Barker in "The Ringer"

2 Comments:

At November 13, 2006, Blogger Samara Oz said...

I remember Jack Palance as the quintessential bad guy.

Why are you a registered Republican?

Sorry about your dead car! But glad that you found a new one to love. It sounds hot! (Ko-Ko bought an Infiniti G35 recently; I'm stil driving the '98 Odyssey.)

 
At November 17, 2006, Blogger yo said...

So I guess people are taking to heart the old adage of 'an apple a day, keeps the doctor away'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home