Monday, February 03, 2014

RAIN!!!  We had rain finally ... for about 20 minutes but it was something!  We are in such a slump but at least the weather has dropped down into the 50's and 60's so it now feels like winter, only three months later.  But I hope it does stay this way for awhile and we are able to get more rain because we so need it and just to have a change in weather. But we had several days of cloudy weather but it never resulted in any rain.  It was like a big tease for days.  Aside from that, the rest of the country is getting hammered by crazy storms and massive snow.  A bunch of funny statements on Facebook but one of my favorites is "Southern California exist to piss off the rest of the country."  It's funny because it is true.

Weekly Update:
Pretty busy week and I did it all fighting off a cold ... but I think I lost at the end of the weekend.  I hang out at a comic book store a lot and on Saturday it was really busy.  Some indie film crew was there doing some movie while Magic The Gathering had a new pre-release event.  At first I thought to myself, oh great, another indie film that no one will ever see or know about.  Although that may be true but they did have some folks there who were recognizable to me surprisingly enough ... amazing what favors can do.  Just last week I quoted David Blue from the short lived TV series "Stargate Universe SGU" was there along with "The Wonder Years" David Lauria.  But then there was someone new for me:

*Neil Grayston - from the TV show "Eureka" and a really cool guy.

Huge loss in the world of entertainment on Sunday as award winning actor, Philip Seymour Hoffman, was found dead in his NYC apartment from an apparent overdose from heroin.  Hoffman was a proclaimed drug user but he was also a talented actor and all around easy going guy.  I had the pleasure of meeting him during the "Doubt" movie premiere after-party.  He was standing by himself in the outside make-shift patio next to the bar and I simply went up and asked for a picture, he then said, "of course" and put his arm around me as we found a person passing by to take the photo.  Could not have been any nicer and said thanks to me as I said thanked him.  I wish there are more actors like him, approachable and easy going.  Don't get me wrong, there are but he was a little different, sort of drew you in.  He will be greatly missed and often remembered. He was only 46.

At the movies:
Slow week this week probably due to 1) award season and 2) Superbowl Sunday!  But aside from that, holding ground at #1 for a third week is "Ride Along" earning another 12.3 million and has amazingly hit 93 mil cume to-date.  Getting a slight increase and holding to #2 is "Frozen" with another 9.3 mil and looks like will finish shy of 400 mil cume domestic, not too bad!  New at #3 is That Awkward Moment earning only 9 mil which is below expectations.  At #4 is "The Nut Job" with another 7.6 mil.  Rounding off the top 5 is "Long Survivor" with 7.2 mil extra as it passes the 100 mil cume mark with pretty solid word-of-mouth.

New movies that did not make the top 5:
In at #7 is Labor Day earning a low 5.3 mil for it's wide-release debut.  Just as I predicted though, wouldn't hit 10 as most thought it would.

Quote of the week:
"Talent alone won't make you a success.  Neither will being in the right place at the right time, unless you are ready.  The most important question is: 'Are you ready?'" - Johnny Carson

Facts & Tips:
Tennessee banned the use of a lasso to catch fish.

"Lord, I'll do anything you ask tomorrow... just don't call an alert tonight!" - Dirk Benedict as Lt. Starbuck in the TV series "Battlestar Galactica."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home