Monday, December 23, 2013

CHRISTMAS EDITION

I know it isn't Christmas yet but this will be the last blog till post X-mas but pre-New Year.  So by default it becomes the Christmas Edition ... although it has really has nothing to do with Christmas other than the fact I use the words Christmas and X-Mas.  But lately the only thing I enjoy about this holiday are the lights ... they are a nice distraction and something shining to stare at.  Oh, there is a street near my house that have strung lights in the street between the trees on both sides.  I need to head over there soon before X-Mas and take a couple of pictures.  I am not sure why I didn't the first time I drove by it and have forgotten since then!  I will make it a point to do that tomorrow night, I just hope I don't forget again.

Weekly Update:
A little bit of a busy week with some driving here and there but not too crazy.  I did get to head over to the Paramount Studio lot for a screening.  But what made the night cooler was the awesome holiday lights they had put up on the lot and the food post screening, FOOD TRUCKS!  I do enjoy the gourmet food trucks and they had three of them, all free of course.  I only got to try 2 of the 3 because the third truck, Grilled Cheese, had a line that never went away and by the time I finished the first two, I was full!  But the two trucks I got to try were Grill 'Em All and Kogi.  I have heard of both trucks before, especially the Kogi truck and so happy to have finally tried them both.  The Grill 'Em All truck was great, had a burger and the flavor and juiciness of the burger was perfect.  On to the Kogi truck ... this is a fusion of Korean and Mexican so basically Korean style meats and veggies in a Mexican style delivery method ... the taco/tortilla.  If anyone knows me, they know I have a huge hatred of cabbage.  To me they server no purpose but to absorb all the flavor into oblivion on anything you put it on.  It is a flavor sponge but it doesn't retain the flavor of what it absorbs but simply makes it go away.  But when I tried the Kogi with the short rib meat and the seasoned cabbage on top of that, it was truly amazing!  I would eat it again and again.

At the movies:
It was a battle at the box office but the victory goes to ... "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" for the 2nd week in a row with 31.5 million as it zooms passes the 100 mil cume, on its way to a possible 300 mil domestic.  New at #2 in a close 2nd place is Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues with 26.8 mil.  It looked very close for this film taking the weekend with early Friday and Saturday numbers but this film should have no problem hitting the 100 mil mark.  Holding solid ground at #3 is "Frozen" with 19.2 mil more as this film quickly approaches 200 mil cume.  Jumping up to #4 is "American Hustle" with 19.1 mil and strong word-of-mouth which will carry this movie through award season.  Rounding off the top 5 is "Saving Mr. Banks" with 9.3 mil, not sure if this film has the legs but should do pretty decent overall.

New movies that did not make the top 5:
Just one this week and as predicted, Walking with Dinosaurs is extinct with a 7.3 mil opening and mediocre word-of-mouth.  This film will struggle through the holiday season and lucky if it sees 50 mil.  This film will need to pick up in foreign but should do well in the home market.  It will need it too with its 80 mil budget price tag and estimated 15 mil P&A fund.

Quote of the week:
"There are three stages of man: he believes in Santa Claus; he does not believe in Santa Claus; he is Santa Claus." - Bob Phillips

Facts & Tips:
Hippos can open their mouths 180 degrees.

"Hi, excuse me, sorry. Has anyone seen a nun? A Carmelite nun? No? Sure? OK, thanks." - Kathy Najimy as Sister Mary Patrick in "Sister Act."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home