Monday, October 14, 2013

So on Saturday night I almost saw a 4 car collision.  I say almost because I heard it while I was at my usual stomping grounds, the comic book store.  I heard a slow muffled screech and then a big solid thud of a hit.  Went outside to see two cars in the middle of the street, one car off to the side up on the curb and another car rear-ended on the opposite side of the road.  It was pretty crazy and I would say the police responded with in 5 mins.  Now that may seem fast but what you do not know, the police station is right next to the comic book store and the accident was maybe 40 to 50 yards from me.  I could hear someone yelling "help, help!" and I would have ran over but then I saw about a dozen people rushing who were a lot closer than me.  I mean if I ran over, what would I do, just be another person looking?  Eventually a couple of firetrucks and ambulances showed up.  Once more police units arrived, I couldn't really see the main center accident anymore because a car was blocking it.  It was pretty crazy being so close.

Weekly Update:

Not too much happened this past week which is nice.  Saw a little rain and of course I thought it would be enough to get the layer of dirt off my car, nope, sure wasn't and it looks all spotty again.  We need some good rain!!  But aside from that, not too much else went on other than working on a few small projects.  OH, my water heater broke on Thursday.  The plumber who was out about a year ago said it should last another 5 years, he was checking it out for another problem but didn't see anything wrong ... that plumber sucks.  Been taking cold showers the past 3 days and boy does that make you take quick showers!

In other news, Indian character actor Kumar Pallana passed away on Thursday.  He was a

staple in Wes Anderson films but I remember him best as the silly grumpy janitor in "The Terminal" with Tom Hanks.  His funny expression and catchphrase "Do you have an appointment?" was enduring.  He use to entertain as a boy spinning plates and juggling.  Traveling around the world, he would end up working at the coffee shop his son owned were Wes Anderson and Owen Wilson would frequent.  After that, the rest, as they say, was history.  Kumar was 94.


At the movies:
No weight on their shoulders ... literally! "Gravity" (or lack thereof) manages to hang on to the #1 spot for its 2nd week in a row earning a NICE 44.3 mil and now over 100 mil cume for the first 10 days.  This is only a 21% drop which is very rare.  New at #2 is Captain Phillips based on a true story with 26 mil.  Not a bad number by any means for this time of year.  Slight drop to #3 is "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2" earning 14.2 mil and now about 78 mil cume domestic. Should hit 100 mil within in the next 10 days if it stays on this kind of tracking.  Popping up at #4 is Machete Kills which is the sequel of the movie that started off as a fake movie trailer in another movie ... did you get all that?  This is a very distance 4th place with only 3.8 mil ... this isn't good for the struggling theatre-owned circuit.  Rounding off the top 5 is "Runner Runner" with 3.7 mil.  It suffered a 52% drop-off from the previous week but you know what, that is below average (which is good).

Quote of the week:
"Wise men don't need advice; fools don't take it." - Benjamin Franklin

Facts & Tips:
A fifteen-year-old boy invented earmuffs in 1873.

"Because I can be." - Shannen Doherty as Heather Duke in "Heathers."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home