Monday, October 31, 2011

HALLOWEEN EDITION

Today is Halloween! I think this is a first that I have posted on the day of Halloween. Not sure what that means or if its significant but ... cool. I think my fondest Halloween memory is when I dressed up as a Spartan soldier. Of course I had jeans on but my armor was made out of cardboard painted gold. I had string to hold the pieces in place so while going out to get candy, I had to fix the string every so often because it would break the cardboard holes and I had to make new ones using my finger. The shield was an old style THICK plastic round menu from my dad's IHOP. The front was painted gold like the armor and had wire mesh string going through it as a forearm handle. It was cool because the front of the menu was a raised topography map of the world (it was IHOP after all) and the other side was the menu which you could still see since we only painted the front. My helmet, now that was a piece of art! The base of it was a turned around old LA Dodger plastic helmet painted gold. I strung two pieces of cardboard on both sides covering the ear the cheeks and then I made this great cardboard visor that actually went up and down. However, it stayed down more than up but it worked! And the plum on the top, my dad went out and bought an orange toilet bowl cleaner and removed it from the handle and bent it straight and it fitted perfectly on the top. I had a sword on my side (plastic) and carried a push broom handle with a cardboard tip as my spear. It was the best outfit I made with my dad so many years ago.

Weekly Update:
This past week was another quiet week and I really liked it! Other than traffic in the evenings being incredibly terrible beyond reason, it was quiet and I was able to get some projects going. I mean I get projects going and taken care of when presented but this one I started, it is ahead of schedule and that is good! Usually I get these things that are due the day before and they wanted it last week. How can I help you when you do not inform me of anything till after it is due or the desired date is that same day and its a multiple type of complex situation?? I tell you, some people. But November is right around the corner and I am already not looking forward to it at all. Some traveling involved and other traveling that right now sounds like a big waste of time and money. But we shall see, with my current luck it will happen but one can hope it won't!

At the movies:
MEOW at the box office as the spin-off of "Shrek" movies makes a scratch at the box office at #1 but not a big one ... Puss In Boots earns 34 million which is enough for #1 and I am sure DreamWorks was hoping for a much bigger return. Big drop to #2 is "Paranormal Activity 3" with an extra 18.5 mil but enough to get it 80 mil cume. New at #3 and first starring role for singer Justin Timberlake, In Time with only 12 mil for this "Logan's Run" style remake. Gradual drop to #4 is "Footloose" with another 5.4 mil. Rounding off the top 5 is The Rum Diary with only a 5 mil opening.

Quote of the week:
"If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich." - John F. Kennedy

Other News:
America's Best Downtowns! Forbes survey on the best downtowns in the US based on attractiveness, accessibility, diversity of offerings, shops, restaurants and proximity of parks and cultural options. In no particular order: Chicago, Ill. - With a waterfront tourist area and known for having a history of a night life, haven't been but completely agree! Portland, OR. - I would think in general it is kind of dreary weather-wise but I can see it being a strong mecca for the arts in general. Burlington, VT. - I think I have been here but not entirely sure because it was winter and everything was covered in snow. Don't recall much but an old town USA feel, but also very small. Indianapolis, IN. - Never been but I can imagine it being a bustling town since it is home to the Indy 500 and race fans come out in droves! San Antonio, TX. - I kind of think of any Texas town as everything being big and drab. I'm sure there are tons of places to eat with a lot of meat. Savannah, GA. - Southern hospitality is probably really big here but not sure I would want to be around during the summer and humid nights. Kansas City, MO. - Been here recently and though they have done a lot to improve the night life and social aspect of it ... still is dead, almost ghost-town like at night. Winston-Salem, NC. - No nothing about the Carolina's in general but it sounds weird with two names! Greenville, SC. - Well just like I said about the previous but only with a single name and a little bit of boring ... Green and Ville ... yeah. Santa Monica, CA. (pictured)- Obviously I know this one and it is always an active city being right off the ocean. I work probably 3 miles from the center of it all and the traffic is crazy but if you can manage to find a place to park without costing an arm and leg, the promenade is a great place to stroll around!

Facts & Tips:
The first bike was called a hobbyhorse.

"May I have ten thousand marbles, please?" - Stephen Furst as Kent "Flounder" Dorfman in "Animal House."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home